April in Galveston has become the new festival season with five major festivals on the calendar along with several sporting events.
• Ongoing (Thursday & Sunday) Galveston’s Own Farmers Market at The Bryan Museum
• Ongoing (Friday & Saturday), Galvez Gives Back $24 Prime Rib Dinner Special at Galvez Bar and Grill
• Ongoing through April 7, Hair at Island ETC
• April 6-8, Tall Ships Galveston
• April 7, The Grand Kids Festival
• April 7, Wicked Wine Run at East Beach
• April 7, Movie Nite on The Strand featuring “Wonder Woman” at Saengerfest Park
• April 8, An Evening with Sophia Loren at The Grand 1894 Opera House
• April 8, Ironman 70.3 Texas
• April 14, Gritty Goddess 5K Fest at Moody Gardens
• April 14, Music Nite on The Strand featuring The Samy Jo Band (country/blues) at Saengerfest Park
• April 14, Amazing Grace at The Grand 1894 Opera House
• April 17-22, 16th Annual Featherfest and Nature Photofest
• April 20 & 21 – Galveston Island Wine Festival
• April 21, Galveston Island Market in Downtown Galveston
• April 21, A Gentleman’s Guide to Love and Murder at The Grand 1894 Opera House
• April 21-22, Divas Half Marathon at Moody Gardens
• April 26-29, Third Coast Music Festival
o April 27 & 28, Galveston Island Beach Revue at Hotel Galvez (now part of Third Coast Music Festival)
• April 27, Kendra Scott Trunk Show at Hotel Galvez benefitting the United Way
Travel Tip: Check the calendar for Kitchen Chick and Clay Cup Studios. You might be able to add a cooking class to your itinerary and an artsy night out.
Plan Ahead for May & June
• May 4, Galveston Chamber Women’s Conference
• May 5-6 & May 12-13, 44th Annual Historic Homes Tour
• May 11-12, Yaga’s Wild Game & BBQ Cook-Off at Pier 21
• May 19, Jeep Go Topless Galveston
• June 9, Hotel Galvez Annual Vow Renewal
Seawall and Downtown Parking Tips
The City of Galveston charges for parking along Seawall Blvd. from 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. daily from 6th to 69th Streets and from 81st to 103rd Streets. Visitors can pay via PayByPhone or at a participating business. The location code is 5004. You will need the location code when using this App. Parking is $1/hour.
The City of Galveston charges for parking in the Central Business District (downtown including The Strand District and Postoffice) from 9 a.m. to 6 p.m. Monday through Saturday. Visitors can pay via PayByPhone or at pay stations. The location code is 5689. You will need the location code when using this App. Downtown Parking is $1.50/hour.
Galveston Trolley Details:
• Trolley fares are $1 for adults and free for children
• Exact change required; trolley drivers cannot make change
• The trolley operates from 11 a.m. to 7 p.m. Monday through Thursday and from 10 a.m. to 10 p.m. Friday through Sunday.
• Stops include seven stops downtown, a ride down 25th Street where riders will transfer to the Seawall Trolley and stops all along the Seawall from Stewart Beach through to Moody Gardens
• For information, visit www.galvestontrolley.com
If you are visiting multiple attractions, visit www.galvestonislandpass.com to receive 40% off 4 or more attractions.
The Galveston Chamber of Commerce operates a Visitors Center at 2228 Mechanic (just one block from The Tremont House) or look for the maps posted throughout downtown.
Book Your Hotel:
For a beach view with history, stay at Hotel Galvez & Spa. The hotel provides a courtesy shuttle to transport hotel guests downtown.
For a stay in The Historic Strand District, book your stay at The Tremont House.
Or if you want to enjoy of view of the harbor, consider Harbor House Hotel & Marina at Pier 21.