August in Galveston means Fireworks, Summer Pop Band Concerts, the return of the AIA Sandcastle Competition, ARTWalk, and Brewmasters Craft Beer Festival.
• Ongoing (Tuesdays), Summer Pop Band Concerts at Sealy Pavilion, 24th Sealy
• Ongoing (Thursdays & Sundays), Galveston’s Own Farmers Market at The Bryan Museum
• Ongoing (Fridays & Saturdays), Tremont Jazz Series featuring Trio du Jour at The Tremont House from 6 to 10 p.m.
• Ongoing (Fridays & Saturdays), Jazz Duo Reg and Cary at Hotel Galvez & Spa from 5 to 10 p.m.
• Ongoing (Fridays & Saturdays), Bands on the Sand at Moody Gardens
• Ongoing (Sundays), Stay & Play! Galveston Gulf Fireworks Shows, 9 p.m. weekly
• Ongoing (Sundays), Galveston’s Own Family Market at The Bryan Museum
• Aug. 2 – 4, “9 to 5 The Musical” at East-End Theater Company
• Aug. 4, Movie Nite on The Strand featuring “Guardians of the Galaxy” at Saengerfest Park
• Aug. 4, The Texas Tenors at The Grand 1894 Opera House
• Aug. 5, The Boutique Bridal Show at Hotel Galvez
• Aug. 11, Family Day at Ocean Star Offshore Oil Rig Museum
• Aug. 12, FREE Second Sundays at the Bryan Museum
• Aug. 11, Music Nite on The Strand featuring Dem Roots (Reggae) at Saengerfest Park
• Aug. 11, Sand Crab 5K/10K Night Run at East Beach with Beer Garden Sponsor Galveston Island Brewing
• Aug. 19, Galveston Family Beach Challenge at Stewart Beach
• Aug. 25, 32nd Annual AIA Sandcastle Competition at East Beach
• Aug. 25, ARTWalk in Historic Downtown Galveston, 6 to 9 p.m.
• Aug. 25, Robert Earl Keen at The Grand 1894 Opera House
• Aug. 31 – Sept. 2, Brewmasters Craft Beer Festival at Moody Gardens
Travel Tip: Check the calendar for Kitchen Chick and Clay Cup Studios. You might be able to add a cooking class to your itinerary and an artsy night out.
• Sept. 28-29, Galveston Island Wild Texas Shrimp Festival in Downtown Galveston
• Sept. 29, Battle on the Bay Paddle Fest at Moody Gardens
• Sept. 30, Island Girl Triathlon at Moody Gardens
Seawall and Downtown Parking Tips
The City of Galveston charges for parking along Seawall Blvd. from 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. daily from 6th to 69th Streets and from 81st to 103rd Streets. Visitors can pay via PayByPhone or at a participating business. The location code is 5004. You will need the location code when using this App. Parking is $1/hour.
The City of Galveston charges for parking in the Central Business District (downtown including The Strand District and Postoffice) from 9 a.m. to 6 p.m. Monday through Saturday. Visitors can pay via PayByPhone or at pay stations. The location code is 5689. You will need the location code when using this App. Downtown Parking is $1.50/hour.
Galveston Trolley Details:
• Trolley fares are $1 for adults and free for children
• Exact change required; trolley drivers cannot make change
• The trolley operates from 11 a.m. to 7 p.m. Monday through Thursday and from 10 a.m. to 10 p.m. Friday through Sunday.
• Stops include seven stops downtown, a ride down 25th Street where riders will transfer to the Seawall Trolley and stops all along the Seawall from Stewart Beach through to Moody Gardens
• For information, visit www.galvestontrolley.com
If you are visiting multiple attractions, visit www.galvestonislandpass.com to receive 40% off 4 or more attractions.
The Galveston Chamber of Commerce operates a Visitors Center at 2228 Mechanic (just one block from The Tremont House) or look for the maps posted throughout downtown.
Book Your Hotel:
For a beach view with history, stay at Hotel Galvez & Spa. The hotel provides a courtesy shuttle to transport hotel guests downtown.
For a stay in The Historic Strand District, book your stay at The Tremont House.
Or if you want to enjoy of view of the harbor, consider Harbor House Hotel & Marina at Pier 21.