December on Galveston Island is filled with Santa sightings, music, holiday lights and more.
• Ongoing (Thursday – Sunday), Galvez Gives Back $24 Prime Rib Dinner Special at Galvez Bar and Grill
• Ongoing thru Jan. 2, Downtown Lanterns and Lights at Saengerfest Park
• Ongoing thru Jan. 7, Festival of Lights at Moody Gardens
• Ongoing thru Jan. 7, Ice Land at Moody Gardens
• Dec. 1, First Friday in Postoffice Street District
• Dec. 1-2, Charles Dickens’ A Christmas Carol at The Grand 1894 Opera House
• Dec. 1-3, 44th Annual Dickens on The Strand
• Dec. 1, Holiday Handbell Concert at St. Joseph’s Church
• Dec. 2, Cheer on the Pier at the Galveston Island Historic Pleasure Pier
• Dec. 2, Pipe Organ Extravaganza at Trinity Episcopal Church
• Dec. 3, Sunday Brunch with Santa at Hotel Galvez
• Dec. 4, An Evening with Lyle Lovett at The Grand 1894 Opera House
• Dec. 9, Nutcracker Tea at The Grand 1894 Opera House
• Dec. 9, Santa on The Strand
• Dec. 9, Holiday in the Park at Saengerfest Park
• Dec. 9, Cheer on the Pier at the Galveston Island Historic Pleasure Pier
• Dec. 9-10, City Ballet of Houston presents The Nutcracker at The Grand 1894 Opera House
• Dec. 9-10, Holiday with the Cranes
• Dec. 10, Sunday Brunch with Santa at Hotel Galvez
• Dec. 14, Sip and Shop on The Strand
• Dec. 15, The Texas Tenors – Deep in the Heart of Christmas at The Grand 1894 Opera House
• Dec. 15-17, Santa Hustle
• Dec. 15 – 25, Cirque Joyeux Noel Dinner & Show at Moody Gardens
• Dec. 16, 2017 Holiday Parade
• Dec. 16, Santa on The Strand
• Dec. 16, Santa Train at the Galveston Railroad Museum
• Dec. 16, Cheer on the Pier at the Galveston Island Historic Pleasure Pier
• Dec. 16, Galveston Island Market
• Dec. 16, Jerry Jeff Walker at The Grand 1894 Opera House
• Dec. 17, Sunday Brunch with Santa at Hotel Galvez
• Dec. 23, Santa on The Strand
• Dec. 23, Cheer on the Pier at the Galveston Island Historic Pleasure Pier
• Dec. 24, Sunday Brunch with Santa at Hotel Galvez
• Dec. 25, Christmas Day Brunch at Hotel Galvez (Call 409.765.7721 for reservations)
• Dec. 31, New Year’s Eve Dinner at Hotel Galvez
Travel Tip: Check the calendar for Kitchen Chick and Clay Cup Studios. You might be able to add a cooking class to your itinerary and an artsy night out.
Plan Ahead for January - February
• Jan. 6-21, Galveston Restaurant Week
• Jan. 19-20, Galveston Chili Quest and Beer Fest
• Feb. 2-13, Mardi Gras! Galveston
Seawall and Downtown Parking Tips
The City of Galveston charges for parking along Seawall Blvd. from 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. daily from 6th to 69th Streets and from 81st to 103rd Streets. Visitors can pay via PayByPhone or at a participating business. The location code is 5004. You will need the location code when using this App. Parking is $1/hour.
The City of Galveston charges for parking in the Central Business District (downtown including The Strand District and Postoffice) from 9 a.m. to 6 p.m. Monday through Saturday. Visitors can pay via PayByPhone or at pay stations. The location code is 5689. You will need the location code when using this App. Downtown Parking is $1.50/hour.
Galveston Trolley Details:
• Trolley fares are $1 for adults and free for children
• Exact change required; trolley drivers cannot make change
• The trolley operates from 11 a.m. to 7 p.m. Monday through Thursday and from 10 a.m. to 10 p.m. Friday through Sunday.
• Stops include seven stops downtown, a ride down 25th Street where riders will transfer to the Seawall Trolley and stops all along the Seawall from Stewart Beach through to Moody Gardens
• For information, visit www.galvestontrolley.com
If you are visiting multiple attractions, visit www.galvestonislandpass.com to receive 40% off 4 or more attractions.
The Galveston Chamber of Commerce operates a Visitors Center at 2228 Mechanic (just one block from The Tremont House) or look for the maps posted throughout downtown.
Book Your Hotel:
For a beach view with history, stay at Hotel Galvez & Spa. The hotel provides a courtesy shuttle to transport hotel guests downtown.
For a stay in The Historic Strand District, book your stay at The Tremont House.
Or if you want to enjoy of view of the harbor, consider Harbor House Hotel & Marina at Pier 21.