Five “Must Do” Holiday Events in Galveston
Galveston, known as the “Winter Wonder Island” of Texas, offers 50 days of holiday events. Holiday lights, ice sculptures, holiday shows and Santa are all on the calendar.
1. Holiday Shows at The Grand 1894 Opera House, 2020 Postoffice. Did you know that no seat at The Grand 1894 Opera House is further than 70 feet from the stage? It is truly an intimate and elegant venue to see a show. And, you are in luck tickets are still available for Charles Dickens’ “A Christmas Carol” (Dec. 4), “The Nutcracker” Ballet (Dec. 12-13), “Rudolph, the Red-Nosed Reindeer, The Musical” (Dec. 19), Merry Texas Christmas Y’all Ray Benson & Asleep at the Wheel (Dec. 22) and Jerry Jeff Walker (Jan. 2). For tickets, visit www.thegrand.com
2. Moody Gardens Festival of Lights, Open Daily, 6 to 10 p.m., One Hope Blvd. Wander through more than a million holiday lights while enjoying holiday music during this annual event. New this year is an Arctic Ice Slide for an additional fee. Tickets: $10.95/pp.
3. Moody Gardens Ice Land: Ice Sculptures, Open Daily, 10 a.m. to 10 p.m. & Christmas Day 12 p.m. to 10 p.m. One Hope Blvd. We took a tour last year and this is a definite “must do” during the holiday season. It doesn’t matter how old you are; you’ll be amazed. Nationally acclaimed ice carvers from China have created Spongebob's Best Christmas Party Ever visualized in 2 million pounds of ice. Tickets: $26.95 adults; $21.95 for seniors and children (4-12)
4. Dress like Santa… Have you ever wanted to go on a pub crawl dressed as Santa? Or run a 5k or half marathon dressed in a Santa beard and Santa shirt? Well, Galveston has you covered for these bucket list items. Santas Night Out Pub Crawl hosted by Islander by Choice is scheduled on Dec. 12 and the Santa Hustle Half Marathon & 5K is Dec. 20.
5. Brunch with Santa... Hotel Galvez will host its annual Sunday Brunch with Santa on Dec. 6, 13 & 20 from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. Children can visit with Santa, take pictures and leave with their own reindeer gift. The hotel is also taking reservations for its amazing Christmas Day Brunch and Christmas Dinner. Reservations for Christmas are only available by calling 409.765.7721.
Other suggestions for holiday fun:
- 1895 Moody Mansion Victorian Christmas, 2618 Broadway
- 1892 Bishop’s Palace Tours, 1402 Broadway
- Santa Train at the Galveston Railroad Museum (Dec. 12), 25th & Strand
- Haunted Christmas at Mayfield Manor, 2313 Harborside
- The Bryan Museum, 1315 21st Street
Hotel Holiday Offers:
- Holiday Getaway Package: Throughout the holiday season, Hotel Galvez is featuring a Galveston Holiday Getaway Package, available from Nov. 14 through Dec. 30, 2015. The package includes a $50 food and beverage credit, valet parking and shuttle to The Strand for shopping.
- Winter Wonder Island: Buy 2 Get 20% at Hotel Galvez & Spa: Book two consecutive nights (Sun-Thu) at Hotel Galvez and save 20% this holiday season.
- Holiday Magic: Stay 3 Nights Save 30% at The Tremont House: Stay in the heart of The Strand Historic District and save 30% when booking three consecutive nights (Sun-Thu).
- Holiday Magic: Book 2 Nights Get 20% at The Tremont House: Looking for a quick holiday getaway? Book two consecutive nights and save 20% (Sun-Thu).