October in Galveston is synonymous with festivals and this weekend (Oct. 15 &16) is the 19th Annual ARToberfest. Presented by The Grand 1894 Opera House, ARToberfest is a juried Fine Arts Festival featuring more than 125 artists from across the United States. Admission is only $5. Festival hours are from 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. Saturday and 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. on Sunday and held in the heart of the Downtown Cultural Arts District on Postoffice Street between 21st and 23rd Streets.
Organizers are excited to offer the following new things at this year’s ARToberfest:
1. There will be live music Saturday and Sunday from 3 to 5 p.m. to add to the festival fun.
2. Children are invited to Clay Cup Studio at 409 22nd Street to create their own pumpkins. Parents can drop off their children at Clay Cup for a small fee and browse the art.
3. HAAK Winery will be selling wine by the glass or by the bottle at 22nd Street (in front of JSC Credit Union). If you love wine make sure to stop by.
4. The Galveston Farmers Marker will be offering some of Galveston homegrown and locally produced favorites on 22nd and Market across from HAAK Winery.
So to recap, you can drop the kids off at Clay Cup Studios, browse the festival and enjoy live music, do some shopping, and pick up a bottle of wine and items from the Farmer’s Market in route home.
•Remember there are more than 125 artists, so take your time and browse. The festival will feature artists from Colorado, Wisconsin, Utah, Louisiana, Alabama, New Mexico and California as well as regional artists.
• Don’t forget that there are several restaurants in the festival area so grab a bite to eat at one of these great locally owned spots.
Note: The City of Galveston charges for metered street parking from 9 a.m. to 6 p.m. on Saturday. Parking is free on Sundays.
The fall is festival season in Galveston so we always encourage visitors to book their rooms early. Other events to plan for include Island Oktoberfest (Oct. 21-22), Lone Star Rally (Nov. 3-6) and Thanksgiving Weekend (Nov. 24-27) and Dickens on the Strand (Dec. 2-4).
Book Your Hotel:
If you want to stay in the heart of downtown Galveston, book your stay at The Tremont House.
If you want to enjoy of view of the harbor, consider Harbor House Hotel & Marina at Pier 21.
If you want a beachfront hotel with historic ambiance, stay at Hotel Galvez & Spa.