June Calendar of Events for Galveston
Mark your calendar for Galveston’s most popular events in June.
• June 2, New Galveston Trolley begins operation
• June 2-4, Texas Outdoor Family Weekend at the Galveston Island State Park
• June 3, 31st Annual AIA Sandcastle Competition
• June 3, ArtWalk
• June 3, Movie Nite on The Strand featuring “Earth to Echo”
• June 7 & 8, Ghost Tour Dinner at Hotel Galvez
• June 9, Kendra Scott Trunk Show at Hotel Galvez benefitting The Grand 1894 Opera House
• June 9 – August 12, Bands on The Sand at Moody Gardens
• June 10, Galvez Annual Wedding Vow Renewal
• June 10, Commissioning of the USS Gabrielle Giffords
• June 10, Galveston Beach Sport Fest
• June 10, Music Nite on The Strand featuring Blaggards (Irish Rock)
• June 16-18, Galveston Cajun Festival
• June 17, Arts and Crafts Outdoor Market
• June 18, Father’s Day Brunch at Hotel Galvez
• June 18, Galveston Family Beach Challenge at East Beach
• June 24, Clear to Partly Crazy, a new play by Greater Tuna’s Jaston Williams at The Grand 1894 Opera House
• June 29, Vince Gill at The Grand 1894 Opera House
Plan Ahead for July
• July 1, Movie Nite on The Strand featuring “National Lampoon’s Christmas Vacation
• July 1, Food Truck Saturday at Stewart Beach
• July 4, July 4th Parade & Fireworks Display
• July 8, Music Nite on the Grand featuring Jason James (Country)
• July 9, Kendra Scott Trunk Show at Hotel Galvez benefitting Galveston County Food Bank
• July 9, Ezra Charles: The Story of Boogie Woogie at The Grand 1894 Opera House
• July 11-16, Texas Race Week Regatta
• July 12 & 13, Ghost Tour Dinner at Hotel Galvez
• July 29, Rider in the Sky Salute Roy Rogers at The Grand 1894 Opera House
Seawall and Downtown Parking Tips
The City of Galveston charges for parking along Seawall Blvd. from 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. daily from 6th to 69th Streets and from 81st to 103rd Streets. Visitors can pay via PayByPhone or at a participating business. The location code is 5004. You will need the location code when using this App. Parking is $1/hour.
The City of Galveston charges for parking in the Central Business District (downtown including The Strand District and Postoffice) from 9 a.m. to 6 p.m. Monday through Saturday. Visitors can pay via PayByPhone or at pay stations. The location code is 5689. You will need the location code when using this App. Downtown Parking is $1.50/hour.
New Galveston Trolley Details:
• The service will begin Friday June 2, 2017
• The fares will be waived for summer for all riders
• The service will operate seven days a week from 10 a.m. to 10 p.m.
• The stops include seven stops downtown, a ride down 25th Street where riders will transfer to the Seawall Trolley and stops all along the Seawall from Stewart Beach through to Moody Gardens
• For information, visit www.galvestontrolley.com
Galveston does have Get Me, which operates similar to Uber.
How it works: According to their website, Get Me locates you via GPS as soon as you open the App, so if you want to get picked up at your current location, just tap to request a ride and a driver will accept your request.
You can identify your destination in the App, either before or after you request your ride. You can also select the vehicle type you need. At the end of your ride, you’ll get an In-App receipt as well as an emailed receipt.
If you are visiting multiple attractions, visit www.galvestonislandpass.com to receive 40% off 4 or more attractions.
The Galveston Chamber of Commerce operates a Visitors Center at 2228 Mechanic (just one block from The Tremont House) or look for the maps posted throughout downtown.
Book Your Hotel:
For a beach view with history, stay at Hotel Galvez & Spa. The hotel provides a courtesy shuttle to transport hotel guests downtown.
For a stay in The Historic Strand District, book your stay at The Tremont House.
Or if you want to enjoy of view of the harbor, consider Harbor House Hotel & Marina at Pier 21.