Arrival on Friday
• 4 p.m. - Check in at your hotel. Check-in at Hotel Galvez, The Tremont House and Harbor House begins at 4 p.m.
• It’s going to be a busy holiday weekend so make your dinner reservations in advance. Most locally owned restaurants will take reservations.
• Venture to the Galveston Island Historic Pleasure Pier. The pier is open until midnight. Make sure to try the Iron Shark Roller Coaster.
• Start with weekend with some live music and great beer with “History on Tap: Music by Drew Kennedy” at Ashton Villa at 6 p.m. For tickets, check with the Galveston Historical Foundation.
• Have breakfast at the hotel. You have a long day ahead. You have the option to dine at Galvez Bar & Grill at Hotel Galvez; Tremont Café at The Tremont House; or if you are staying at Harbor House enjoy the complimentary Continental breakfast.
• Make your way to the beach. If you are a guest at The Tremont House or Harbor House check with the front desk on shuttle times to Hotel Galvez and go to the pool or make an appointment at The Spa.
• If you enjoy nature, here are two recommendations: the Beach Exploration Tour at the Galveston Island State Park or the Kayak Adventure: Coastal Heritage Preserve. Both begin at 10 a.m.
• Lunch on The Strand or Pier 21. You have a lot of options along the Strand and at Pier 21. You can choose from seafood, burgers, Italian to Mediterranean.
• If you decided to eat a Pier 21, you have three harbor excursions to choose from.
• If you decided to eat at The Strand, you can tour the Galveston Island Railroad Museum, Pirates! Legends of the Gulf Coast and Haunted Mayfield Manor.
• Treat yourself to something sweet and make a stop at Rocky Mountain Chocolate Factory and La King’s Confectionary (both on The Strand) or Hey Mikey’s Ice Cream on Postoffice Street.
• You’ve lucked out. It’s Music Nite on The Strand featuring live music by Robert Kuhn from 6 to 9 p.m. at Saengerfest Park.
• You might as well enjoy some more time at the beach. As a bonus, Hotel Galvez offers complimentary bicycles for guests. There is also a bike and surrey rental just a block from the hotel. If you want to tour the East End and see the tree sculptures, ask the concierge for a map of the Tree Sculpture Tour or download the map.
• No trip to Galveston is complete without a visit to Schlitterbahn Water Park. Make sure you try the Boogie Bahn.
• If you didn’t make it before, then visit the Galveston Island Historic Pleasure Pier. Galveston is still going to be busy tonight so make your dinner reservations earlier in the day.
Happy Memorial Day
• If you still have time, stop in at Moody Gardens. Visit Palm Beach, Rainforest Pyramid, and the Aquarium. And, their new Ropes Course and Zip Line will add to the fun.
Have a safe trip home.