The weather may be a little damp this weekend for the Sixth Annual Galveston Island Food & Wine Festival but the good news is that the festivities are held under a huge tent. This year’s festival, set for April 18-19, is at Pier 21.
While tickets are nearly sold out for Friday’s Premium Wine Tasting & Pairing (admission is $90/pp), tickets are still available for Saturday’s Grand Tasting from 2 to 5 p.m. (admission to Grand Tasting is $60/pp). You can purchase online or at the entrance (pending availability). We recommend that you purchase your tickets in advance. Admission to the Grand Tasting includes a souvenir wine glass, event program with complete list of wines, samples of more than 100 wines and food from local restaurants as well as live entertainment by Roxy Roca.
Some quick tips:
• Festival parking is available at the parking garage located at 21st & Mechanic, which is three blocks from Pier 21. Festival organizers have scheduled a shuttle from the garage to the festival area for the convenience of visitors. You can also park on the street. Metered parking is charged from 9 a.m. to 6 p.m. and is $1.50/hour plus $0.25 fee per transaction. You can pay via www.paybyphone.com/Galveston or by the Pay by Phone App. The location code is 5689. We recommend that you just download the App, that way you will already be set for your next visit.
• Pace yourself. There are more than a hundred wines so take your time and drink water in between samples. Remember to drink responsibly.
• New this year: Featured wines will be available for purchase at the festival’s wine store. So don’t forget to note your favorites to purchase.
• New this year: As part of the festival, Hotel Galvez’ Sunday Champagne Brunch will feature special menu items inspired by Chef Lance Fegen of Liberty Kitchen & Oyster Bar. This is a separate cost from the festival. Brunch is $39.99 for adults and served from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. Advance reservations are recommended and may be made by calling the hotel at (409) 765-7721 or via Open Table for Galvez Bar & Grill.
• Other events: Saturday wine pairing dinners featuring Paul Miller and Paul Lewis of Paul’s Kitchen partnering with Riondo’s Ristorante and Chef Randy Evans of Southern Son Consulting partnering with the new Ocean Grill & Beach Bar.
For more information and to purchase tickets, http://www.galveston.com/foodandwine/