January on Galveston Island is filled with chili, shows at The Grand and more. Mark your calendars for Mardi Gras! Galveston 2018 Feb. 2-13.
• Ongoing (Thursday – Sunday), Galvez Gives Back $24 Prime Rib Dinner Special at Galvez Bar and Grill
• Ongoing thru Jan. 7, Festival of Lights at Moody Gardens
• Ongoing thru Jan. 7, Ice Land at Moody Gardens
• Jan. 5, First Friday in Postoffice Street District (extended hours for Postoffice District businesses)
• Jan. 6-21, Galveston Restaurant Week
• Jan. 7, Galveston Symphony at The Grand 1894 Opera House
• Jan. 13, ARTWalk
• Jan. 13, ARTWalk at The Tremont House
• Jan. 13, The Official Blues Brothers Revue at The Grand 1894 Opera House
• Jan. 19, Kendra Scott Trunk Sale at Hotel Galvez & Spa benefitting Gulf Coast Big Brothers Big Sisters
• Jan. 19-20, Galveston Chili Quest and Beer Fest
• Jan. 19 to 27, “Love, Loss and What I Wore” by Nora Ephron and Delia Ephron at Island ETC
• Jan. 20 & 21, The Oak Ridge Boys at The Grand 1894 Opera House
• Jan. 26, Tango Fire at The Grand 1894 Opera House
Travel Tip: Check the calendar for Kitchen Chick and Clay Cup Studios. You might be able to add a cooking class to your itinerary and an artsy night out.
Plan Ahead for February
• Feb. 2-13, Mardi Gras! Galveston
• Feb. 7 & 8, Galvez Ghost Tour and Dinner at Hotel Galvez
Seawall and Downtown Parking Tips
The City of Galveston charges for parking along Seawall Blvd. from 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. daily from 6th to 69th Streets and from 81st to 103rd Streets. Visitors can pay via PayByPhone or at a participating business. The location code is 5004. You will need the location code when using this App. Parking is $1/hour.
The City of Galveston charges for parking in the Central Business District (downtown including The Strand District and Postoffice) from 9 a.m. to 6 p.m. Monday through Saturday. Visitors can pay via PayByPhone or at pay stations. The location code is 5689. You will need the location code when using this App. Downtown Parking is $1.50/hour.
Galveston Trolley Details:
• Trolley fares are $1 for adults and free for children
• Exact change required; trolley drivers cannot make change
• The trolley operates from 11 a.m. to 7 p.m. Monday through Thursday and from 10 a.m. to 10 p.m. Friday through Sunday.
• Stops include seven stops downtown, a ride down 25th Street where riders will transfer to the Seawall Trolley and stops all along the Seawall from Stewart Beach through to Moody Gardens
• For information, visit www.galvestontrolley.com
If you are visiting multiple attractions, visit www.galvestonislandpass.com to receive 40% off 4 or more attractions.
The Galveston Chamber of Commerce operates a Visitors Center at 2228 Mechanic (just one block from The Tremont House) or look for the maps posted throughout downtown.
Book Your Hotel:
For a beach view with history, stay at Hotel Galvez & Spa. The hotel provides a courtesy shuttle to transport hotel guests downtown.
For a stay in The Historic Strand District, book your stay at The Tremont House.
Or if you want to enjoy of view of the harbor, consider Harbor House Hotel & Marina at Pier 21.