Galveston offers a packed calendar of events, especially during the weekend. Visitors to Galveston should also consider these little known events that are popular with locals.
• Yoga in the Gallery – The Galveston Arts Center, 2127 Strand, invites yogis to enjoy Yoga on Wednesdays from 6 to 7 p.m. taught by Texas Yoga Flow. The walk-in rate is $10.
• Wine at The Bryan Gardens –The Bryan Museum, 1315 21st Street, welcomes the public for wine, beer and snacks in the Sculpture Garden on the first Thursday of the month from 4 to 7 p.m. (weather permitting)
• Glow Night Ride – Island Bicycle Company, 1808 Seawall Blvd., hosts a “Glow Night Bike Ride” on the third Thursday of the month. Ride begins at 7:30 p.m. from the shop. Bikes must be fitted with head light, tail light and red rear reflector for safety. The ride ends with the group enjoying dinner. See their Facebook page for details.
• Yoga at The Brewery – Galveston Island Brewing, 8423 Stewart Road, invites yogis to enjoy yoga on the first Saturday of the month at noon. Top it off with a locally brewed craft beer after the workout. Their Facebook page promotes this and other events. By the way, they also host public brewery tours every Saturday at 1 p.m.
• Trivia Night – Brews Brothers Galveston, 2404 Strand, hosts a weekly Trivia Night on Wednesdays at 8 p.m. It’s first-come, first-serve. The winning team takes away a $50 gift card. While it’s not always on Facebook, it’s a weekly outing for many locals.
• Downtown and Music Trivia Nights – ZaZa Bar & Bites, 2219 Postoffice, hosts Downtown Trivia on Wednesdays and Music Trivia on Sundays beginning at 6 p.m. Pair that with their Happy Hour Special and it’s a fun evening. See their Facebook page for details.
If your visit coincides with one of these events, stop in and enjoy Galveston like a local.
Where to Stay in Galveston:
If you are looking for a hotel that’s away from the hubbub of the beachfront, try The Tremont House or Harbor House Hotel & Marina. And, if you prefer a historic beachfront hotel, then definitely book your room at Hotel Galvez & Spa.
Have a great trip!