Mark your calendar for Galveston’s most popular events in May.
• May 1-5, Wine Flights Special at Galvez Bar & Grill
• May 4, Wine at The Bryan Gardens (Bryan Museum)
• May 5-6, Galveston Island Food & Wine Festival
• May 6, Movie Nite on The Strand featuring Star Wars: Episode Rogue One
• May 6, ARTRAGEOUS at The Grand 1894 Opera House
• May 7, Sunday Brunch at Hotel Galvez featuring Houston Chef Lance Fegen
• May 6-7 & May 13-14, 43rd Annual Galveston Historic Homes Tour
• May 10 & May 11, Hotel Galvez Ghost Tour Dinner
• May 12-13, Yaga’s Wild Game & BBQ Cook-off
• May 12 – 27, The Foreigner at Island ETC (East End Theater Company)
• May 13, Family Day at the Ocean Star
• May 13, Music Nite on The Strand featuring Heights Funk Collective
• May 13, Tiny Homes Tour
• May 13, Arlo Guthrie at The Grand 1894 Opera House
• May 14, Mother’s Day
• May 14, Galveston Family Beach Challenge at East Beach
• May 19-21, Galveston Island Beach Revue
• May 20, Arts and Crafts Outdoor Market
• May 20, Kendra Scott Trunk Show at Hotel Galvez benefitting Galveston Urban Ministries
• May 20, Jeep Go Topless Day at East Beach
• May 27, Princess Day at The Beach (Stewart Beach)
Plan Ahead for June
• June 3, 31st Annual AIA Sandcastle Competition
• June 9, Kendra Scott Trunk Show at Hotel Galvez benefitting The Grand 1894 Opera House
• June 10, Galvez Annual Wedding Vow Renewal
• June 10, Galveston Beach Sport Fest
• June 18, Father's Day Brunch at Hotel Galvez
• June 18, Galveston Family Beach Challenge at East Beach
• June 24, Clear to Partly Crazy, a new play by Greater Tuna’s Jaston Williams at The Grand 1894 Opera House
• June 29, Vince Gill at The Grand 1894 Opera House
Seawall and Downtown Parking Tips
The City of Galveston charges for parking along Seawall Blvd. from 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. daily from 6th to 69th Streets and from 81st to 103rd Streets. Visitors can pay via PayByPhone or at a participating business. The location code is 5004. You will need the location code when using this App. Parking is $1/hour.
The City of Galveston charges for parking in the Central Business District (downtown including The Strand District and Postoffice) from 9 a.m. to 6 p.m. Monday through Saturday. Visitors can pay via PayByPhone or at pay stations. The location code is 5689. You will need the location code when using this App. Downtown Parking is $1.50/hour.
Galveston does have Get Me, which operates similar to Uber.
How it works: According to their website, Get Me locates you via GPS as soon as you open the App, so if you want to get picked up at your current location, just tap to request a ride and a driver will accept your request.
You can identify your destination in the App, either before or after you request your ride. You can also select the vehicle type you need. At the end of your ride, you’ll get an In-App receipt as well as an emailed receipt.
If you are visiting multiple attractions, visit www.galvestonislandpass.com to receive 40% off 4 or more attractions.
The Galveston Chamber of Commerce operates a Visitors Center at 2228 Mechanic (just one block from The Tremont House) or look for the maps posted throughout downtown.
Book Your Hotel:
For a beach view with history, stay at Hotel Galvez & Spa. The hotel provides a courtesy shuttle to transport hotel guests downtown.
For a stay in The Historic Strand District, book your stay at The Tremont House.
Or if you want to enjoy of view of the harbor, consider Harbor House Hotel & Marina at Pier 21.