May in Galveston means Mother’s Day, Historic Homes Tour, Yaga’s Wild Game Cook-Off and the close of the 2017-2018 season at The Grand 1894 Opera House (Tip: The Grand offers summer shows too).
• Ongoing (Thursday & Sunday) Galveston’s Own Farmers Market at The Bryan Museum
• May 6, Splash Day
• May 11 – May 26, “Last of the Red Hot Lovers” at Island ETC
• May 4, Galveston Chamber Women’s Conference
• May 5-6 & May 12-13, 44th Annual Historic Homes Tour
• May 5, Movie Nite on The Strand featuring “Rebel Without a Cause” at Saengerfest Park
• May 5, The Summitt: The Manhattan Transfer Meets Take 6! at The Grand 1894 Opera House
• May 9 & May 10, Galvez Ghost Tour and Dinner
• May 12, Music Nite on The Strand featuring Blaggards (Irish Folk Rock) at Saengerfest Park
• May 11-12, Yaga’s Wild Game & BBQ Cook-Off at Pier 21
• May 12, Blood, Sweat & Tears 50th Anniversary Tour at The Grand 1894 Opera House
• May 13, Mother’s Day Brunch at Hotel Galvez
• May 17, Galveston Island Brewing Beer Pairing Dinner at The Tremont House
• May 19, Jeep Go Topless Galveston
• May 19, Galveston Island Market in Downtown Galveston
• May 25, Kendra Scott Trunk Show at Hotel Galvez benefitting the Alzheimer’s Association, Galveston Walk to Cure Alzheimer’s
Travel Tip: Check the calendar for Kitchen Chick and Clay Cup Studios. You might be able to add a cooking class to your itinerary and an artsy night out.
• June 2, Movie Nite on The Strand featuring “Dolphin Tale” at Saengerfest Park
• June 9, Hotel Galvez Annual Wedding Vow Renewal
• June 9, Music Nite on The Strand featuring Donovan Keith (Soul) at Saengerfest Park
• June 17, Father's Day Brunch at Hotel Galvez
• July 4, Galveston Fireworks and Patriotic Concert by Galveston Community Band at Hotel Galvez
Seawall and Downtown Parking Tips
The City of Galveston charges for parking along Seawall Blvd. from 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. daily from 6th to 69th Streets and from 81st to 103rd Streets. Visitors can pay via PayByPhone or at a participating business. The location code is 5004. You will need the location code when using this App. Parking is $1/hour.
The City of Galveston charges for parking in the Central Business District (downtown including The Strand District and Postoffice) from 9 a.m. to 6 p.m. Monday through Saturday. Visitors can pay via PayByPhone or at pay stations. The location code is 5689. You will need the location code when using this App. Downtown Parking is $1.50/hour.
Galveston Trolley Details:
• Trolley fares are $1 for adults and free for children
• Exact change required; trolley drivers cannot make change
• The trolley operates from 11 a.m. to 7 p.m. Monday through Thursday and from 10 a.m. to 10 p.m. Friday through Sunday.
• Stops include seven stops downtown, a ride down 25th Street where riders will transfer to the Seawall Trolley and stops all along the Seawall from Stewart Beach through to Moody Gardens
• For information, visit www.galvestontrolley.com
If you are visiting multiple attractions, visit www.galvestonislandpass.com to receive 40% off 4 or more attractions.
The Galveston Chamber of Commerce operates a Visitors Center at 2228 Mechanic (just one block from The Tremont House) or look for the maps posted throughout downtown.
Book Your Hotel:
For a beach view with history, stay at Hotel Galvez & Spa. The hotel provides a courtesy shuttle to transport hotel guests downtown.
For a stay in The Historic Strand District, book your stay at The Tremont House.
Or if you want to enjoy of view of the harbor, consider Harbor House Hotel & Marina at Pier 21.