Local’s Tips for “Must Do Events” in May in Galveston
A perk of living in a top tourist destination is that there is always plenty to do and with the month of May comes great weather and plenty of fun for locals and visitors to Galveston Island.
1. I’m a huge fan of Galveston’s Historic Homes Tour. Homes Tour is always the first two weekends of May and it gives you a chance to see Galveston’s most beautiful private homes. New this year is an Early Bird ticket which allows you to see three homes before the crowd at 10 a.m. You can purchase tickets online at www.galvestonhistory.org. Travel Tip: if you are a guest at Hotel Galvez, check out their courtesy bikes and use it for the tour.
2. Movie Nite on The Strand is a ton of fun and it’s free! This month’s movie is "The Goonies” with Sean Astin and Josh Brolin. Movies are scheduled on the first Saturday of the month so this month it falls on May 2. Movies are shown at Saengerfest Park, 23rd & Strand, just shortly after dusk. Bring a lawn chair, order takeout and pick up your favorite beverage. Locals love this event!
3. My mother’s favorite place to celebrate Mother’s Day has always been Brunch at Hotel Galvez. But don’t wait until the last minute to make your reservation; Galvez Bar & Grill at Hotel Galvez was just named to the 2015 Top Brunch Restaurants in the US by OpenTable diners so as the word spreads it will book up even faster. Mother’s Day Brunch is on May 10 and prices are $59 for adults; $53 for seniors; and $39 for children (ages 6-11). It’s worth the splurge. Click here for the menu. Make your reservation by calling 409-765-7721.
4. The second weekend of May is always the Yaga’s Wild Game Championship and Barbeque Cook-off. This year the event is at Pier 21. I highly recommend splurging for the Sponsor preview ticket on Friday, May 8. It’s $75 and includes dinner, beer and live music. On Saturday, there’s a 5K, kid’s area, vendors and cook-off teams galore. There is no admission fee. Just make friends with cook-off team. All the monies raised go to charity.
5. If you enjoy live music, then mark your calendar for Music Nite on The Strand. During the month of May, there are two concerts at Saengerfest Park. See jazz/R&B group Gary-Michael Dahl on May 9 and folk group dem with Robert Kuhn on May 23. Some seating is available and there is always a dance floor.
6. Another favorite is the Galveston Island Beach Revue presented by Hotel Galvez & Spa on May 15-16 at Beach Central, 21st & Seawall (across from Hotel Galvez). On Friday, there are dance lessons followed by a dance contest, live music and an introduction to the contestants. On Saturday, there are retro-active family games, a classic car show, craft beer tastings, charcoal championship cook-off, pie eating contest, bathing beauties contest and concert. The highlight is always the bathing beauty contest when 40 gals compete in their vintage swimwear.
Happy May and enjoy your visit.