Here's our Seven Reasons to Visit Galveston This Thanksgiving:
1. Hotel Galvez & Spa's Famous Thanksgiving Day Brunch - Are you one of lucky guests who called early for your seating? Thanksgiving Brunch is practically sold out as we post this blog. So plan ahead for next year or for Christmas Day Brunch. Hotel Galvez & Spa will begin taking Christmas Day Brunch reservations on Dec. 3.
2. Galveston Holiday Lighting Celebration at Hotel Galvez - After you've stuffed yourself silly on Thanksgiving, celebrate the holiday season on Friday with the Galveston Holiday Lighting Celebration at Hotel Galvez. The event begins at 6 p.m. Enjoy the official tree lighting for Galveston followed by live performances by local choirs as well as the Galveston Ballet along with special appearance by Santa Claus. Free. Remember to hashtag your photos #GalvezLighting
3. EXPANDED Downtown Lanterns and Lights - Saengerfest Park, 23rd and Strand, is set to be illuminated with a huge version of Ebenezer Scrooge's accounting office (in honor of Charles Dickens' A Christmas Carol) beginning Saturday, Nov. 24. Plus, illuminated holiday decorations and artisan made pieces will guide shoppers from The Strand to Postoffice Street. As an added bonus on Saturday and Sunday, visitors can pose for family photos in an interactive photo frame and giant snow globe. Now, this will definitely be Instagram worthy. Bonus: You'll love browsing all the shops and businesses that are ready to welcome you this holiday season.
4. Hendley Green Holiday Kickoff and Tree Lighting - On Saturday Hendley Green, located at 2028 Strand, hosts its third annual tree lighting at this downtown park. Enjoy craft beer from 2 to 6 p.m.; a visit from Santa and his sleigh from 4 to 5 p.m., family friendly games throughout the afternoon and a special tree lighting of the Queen's Christmas tree at 5:30 p.m. Free.
5. ArtWalk - This ArtWalk is Galveston's biggest and most popular ArtWalk of the year. Browse through Galveston's art galleries and "other walls" including The Tremont House from 6 to 9 p.m. Free.
6. Moody Gardens Festival of Lights and Ice Land: Pole to Pole - This holiday attraction is definitely something to add to your weekend itinerary. Festival of Lights takes you through more than a million holiday lights while Ice Land provides an undersea journey made of two million pounds of ice. Yes, ice!
7. Holiday Shows at The Grand - Everyone loves a Christmas show and you don't have to travel far to see one… Catch Asleep at The Wheel - Merry Texas Christmas Y'all on Saturday at 8 p.m. and The Priests - Live in Concert on Sunday at 7 p.m. and at The Grand 1894 Opera House.
Book Your Hotel:
For a beach view with history, stay at Hotel Galvez & Spa. The hotel provides a courtesy shuttle to transport hotel guests downtown.
For a stay in The Historic Strand District, book your stay at The Tremont House.
Or if you want to enjoy of view of the harbor, consider Harbor House Hotel & Marina at Pier 21.