Ten things you should know about the Galveston Island Beach Revue
1. Galveston’s Bathing Beauties Contest began as the “Pageant of Pulchritude” in the summer of 1920 and continued through 1932.
2. This vintage inspired pageant was resurrected in 2009 by Islander by Choice, LLC.
3. The Galveston Island Beach Revue presented by Hotel Galvez & Spa begins Friday, May 15 through Saturday, May 16, 2015 and will be held at Beach Central, 2101 Seawall (across from Hotel Galvez). Admission is free.
4. Dance Lessons are scheduled at 7 p.m. on Friday with the new “Dancing with the Schwenk” dance contest at 7:45 p.m.
5. Plan to be there for the special introduction of the 2015 Bathing Beauty contestants on Friday at 7:30 p.m. at Beach Central
6. The John Evans Band will perform on Friday from 7:45 to 9:15 p.m.
7. Browse The Tom Schwenk, Realtor Hot Rod + Classic Car and Vintage Trailer show on Saturday from noon to 4 p.m. Limited to cars from 1969 and older.
8. Family friendly games by the Family Service Center are planned beginning at 12:30 p.m.
9. Special beer tastings by Houston’s Southern Start Brewing Company are scheduled at 1 p.m. and 3 p.m. along with a “Charcoal Championship” cook-off beginning at 1 p.m. The beer tasting ticket is $10 and available in advance or at the event. A $10 wristband will allow individuals to eat and vote on their favorite dish.
10. The highlight of the Galveston Island Beach Revue is the Bathing Beauties Contest beginning at 5 p.m. See 40 contestants sport their vintage swimwear and compete for top honors.
For more information, visit http://www.galvestonbeachrevue.com/