Thanksgiving meals have been served, dishes cleared, football games watched and now it’s time to get out of the house. Enjoy these “not to miss” holiday events this Thanksgiving Weekend in Galveston.
1. Friday, Nov. 27, 6 p.m., Galveston Holiday Lighting Celebration at Hotel Galvez, 2024 Seawall Blvd. Official tree lighting for Galveston followed by live performances by local children’s choir and hand bell choir as well as the Galveston Ballet along with special appearance by Santa Claus. Free.
2. Saturday, Nov. 28, 6 to 9 p.m., ArtWalk. Galveston’s biggest and most popular ArtWalk of the year. Browse through Galveston’s art galleries and “other walls” including The Tremont House, 2300 Mechanic.
3. All Weekend, 6 to 10 p.m., Moody Gardens Festival of Lights, One Hope Blvd. Wander through more than a million holiday lights while enjoying holiday music during this annual event. New this year is an Arctic Ice Slide for an additional ticket. Tickets: $10.95/pp.
4. Thanksgiving 12 p.m. to 10 p.m.; Friday & Saturday, 10 a.m. to 10 p.m., Moody Gardens Ice Land: Ice Sculptures, One Hope Blvd. This is a “definite must do” during the holiday season. Nationally acclaimed ice carvers from China have created Spongebob's Best Christmas Party Ever visualized in 2 million pounds of ice. Tickets: $26.95 adults; $21.95 for seniors and children (4-12)
5. Saturday, Nov. 28, An Olde English Christmas with Herman’s Hermits starring Peter Noone at The Grand 1894 Opera House, 2020 Postoffice. A great show to get you in the holiday spirit. For tickets, visit www.thegrand.com
Hotel Holiday Offers:
• Thanksgiving “Turkey Day” Getaway Package: Hotel Galvez & Spa is offering a Thanksgiving Getaway package starting at $279/night that includes a guest room for two, Thanksgiving brunch for two and valet parking.
• Holiday Getaway Package: Throughout the holiday season, Hotel Galvez is featuring a Galveston Holiday Getaway Package, available from Nov. 14 through Dec. 30, 2015. The package includes a $50 food and beverage credit, valet parking and shuttle to The Strand for shopping. Weekday rates from $189/night and weekend rates from $249/night.
Additional options for your next Galveston getaway:
• If you want to stay in the heart of downtown Galveston, book your stay at The Tremont House.
• If you want to enjoy of view of the harbor, consider Harbor House Hotel & Marina at Pier 21.