Do you like gumbo? Then you better plan to attend the Galveston Island Shrimp Festival on Sept. 23-24. Festivities take place in historic downtown Galveston and are centered around Saengerfest Park, 23rd & Strand.
Enjoy these tips and make the most of your Shrimp Festival Weekend.
1. Buy your tickets in advance. Tickets options are $10/pp for your standard tasting cup or $12 for a large gumbo tasting cup plus 16 oz. beer tickets. You can purchase tickets online at http://www.galvestonislandshrimpfestival.com/
2. Consider buying tickets to the VIP Sponsor Party on Friday. You’ll enjoy a fried shrimp dinner and live music. Tickets are $50/pp. (Sorry folks it’s sold out so plan early for next year).
3. Start your Saturday by running the Official Galveston Island Shrimp Festival 5K Downtown. The race starts at 9 a.m. so you can still sleep in. That way you can work off your excess eating in advance. Just sayin’.
4. Dress comfortably. Galveston can be hot and humid and, as you know, gumbo can be spicy. But the good news is that there is beer and water available for purchase and to keep you hydrated.
5. Pace yourself. There is a lot of food to sample and it’s easy to overindulge. The Public Gumbo Tasting begins at noon and ends at 4 p.m. on Saturday. Your cup is good for sampling gumbo prepared by area restaurants.
6. Cool off in between samples and get your card stamped as part of the Merchant Walkabout at participating merchants. Complete your stamps by 4 p.m. and you’ll be entered to win valuable gift certificates from participating stores.
7. Keep track of your time and make sure you watch the Galveston Shrimp Company Lil’ Shrimp Parade at 3 p.m.
8. Submit your votes and cheer for your favorite team at 6 p.m. when organizers announce the winners.
If you want to stay in the heart of the festival, book your stay at The Tremont House.
If you want to enjoy of view of the harbor and be walkable to the festival, consider Harbor House Hotel & Marina at Pier 21.
If you want a beachfront hotel, stay at Hotel Galvez & Spa. The hotel provides a courtesy shuttle to transport guests downtown.https://www.facebook.com/Galveston/videos/10156013804550230/