How do you like your gumbo? Galveston Island Shrimp Festival goers will have the chance to sample gumbo from more than 40 cook-off teams. So if you love gumbo, we recommend you mark your calendar for the Galveston Island Shrimp Festival Sept. 28-29.
Things to Know:
• When and Where: Friday, Sept. 28 and Saturday, Sept. 29 in Historic Downtown Galveston
• Friday VIP Event: 7:30 p.m. at Saengerfest Park, 23rd and Strand. Tickets are $50 and include a Texas Size Shrimp Dinner honoring the festival's sponsors and cook-off teams.
• Saturday 5K Run: 9 a.m. at 28th & Seawall. Costumes are encouraged. Registration includes an event T-shirt, libations and gumbo sampling cup for entry into the festival.
• Saturday Shrimp Gumbo Cook-Off: 10 a.m. in Historic Downtown Galveston. Enjoy samples from cook-off teams, live music and vendors. Enjoy samples from amateur and professional cookers from 12 p.m. to 4 p.m.
• Saturday Lil' Shrimps Parade: 3 p.m. in Historic Downtown Galveston. The parade features floats, marching bands and beads.
• Saturday Strand Merchant Walkabout: 12 p.m. to 4 p.m. in Historic Downtown Galveston. Visit with participating merchants for a chance to win more than $300 in gift cards.
• Saturday Tasting Tickets: Purchase your sampling cup in advance for $12 plus tax or purchase at the festival before they run out.
After a long day of eating gumbo, drinking beer and enjoying your visit you are going to need a convenient hotel so you can recharge and enjoy the rest of your week. Here's our suggestions.
Where to Stay:
For a beach view with history, stay at Hotel Galvez & Spa. The hotel provides a courtesy shuttle to transport hotel guests downtown.
For a stay in The Historic Strand District, book your stay at The Tremont House.
Or if you want to enjoy of view of the harbor and walk to the festival, consider Harbor House Hotel & Marina at Pier 21.