A little rain doesn’t have to dampen your trip to the 43rd Annual Dickens on The Strand. We have some great ideas for you to enjoy the festival.
• You can still go shopping. All the downtown stores will be open and stocked for Christmas so dress appropriately and support Galveston’s local businesses as well as participating vendors.
• Purchase tickets to one of Dickens’ special events. Options include:
o A Grand Strand Soiree on Friday at 6:30 p.m. for $75. The event will be held in the 1880 Garten Verein, 2704 Avenue O. Advance reservations are required.
o Holiday Handbell Concerts on Friday at 5:30, 7 and 7:30 p.m. Tickets are $15. The concerts are held in the 1859 St. Joseph’s Church, 2202 Avenue K.
o Saint Arnold’s Architectural Pub Crawl has a rain plan that takes you inside The Strand’s oldest buildings. Tour times: Friday at 7 p.m., Saturday at 11 a.m. and 4:30 p.m. and Sunday at 3 p.m. Tickets are $35.
• Have a beer at Fezziwig’s Beer Hall on Friday from 5 to 9 p.m. The good news is it’s tented and has seating, specialty acts and hearty brews. Plus, you may meet a descendant of Dickens - Jane Dickens Monk.
• Take a tour… Enjoy free admission to our 1892 Bishop’s Palace and Texas Seaport Museum with your Dickens ticket
Check http://www.galvestonhistory.org/weather for the latest updates on changes to the event due to rain
• And, catch a show at The Grand 1894 Opera House, 2020 Postoffice. The Grand has two performances of Charles Dickens' A Christmas Carol on Friday at 8 p.m. and Saturday at 3 p.m. Purchase tickets at http://www.thegrand.com.
• If you need a quick break from the cold, step inside The Tremont House, located inside the festival area at 2300 Mechanic. The hotel offers live holiday music from 6 to 10 p.m. on Friday and has holiday choirs scheduled throughout the day on Saturday from 11 a.m. to 9 p.m.
• If you want to dress in Victorian costume you’ll save on half on the ticket price. Old bridesmaid dresses with a repurposed hat work well for the ladies. Several local resale shops are a great resource for last minute costumes, we recommend Le Chat Noir, 4301 Avenue S.
• Purchase tickets online at www.dickensonthestrand.org. Tickets are $15 for adults and $9 (ages 7-12) the day of.
If you can’t make it for a weekend getaway, plan a weekday escape and book one of these hotel packages:
• Hotel Galvez & Spa is offering a Holiday Magic Package. Enjoy breakfast for two at Galvez Bar & Grill, two tickets to Moody Gardens’ Ice Land: Ice Sculptures, A Caribbean Christmas as well as complimentary valet and a courtesy shuttle to the Historic Strand District known for its shopping and dining. Weekday rates for this package start at $188/night.
• Holiday Fun at The Tremont House. The Tremont puts you in the heart of historic downtown Galveston. Enjoy breakfast for two at Tremont Café, two tickets to Moody Gardens’ Ice Land: Ice Sculptures, A Caribbean Christmas and complimentary valet when booking the holiday package. Weekday rates at The Tremont House for this package start at $188/night.
Both packages are available daily through Dec. 30, 2016.
• Harbor House Hotel & Marina offers a seven day advance purchase rate that starts at $89/night weekdays. Harbor House is the only hotel located at Pier 21 and is walkable to downtown shopping.