Like many charming historic towns, Galveston Island has its share of antique stores. You’ll find classic antiques and collectibles, costume jewelry, home décor and even old furniture updated with a shabby chic look. Here are our picks for antiquing in Galveston.
1. Antique Warehouse, 423 25th Street, is an adventure. The two-story building is stocked full of furniture, china, glassware and more. Plus, the owner makes custom furniture from reclaimed wood. Make sure to wander through all the small rooms on the second floor because you never know what you’ll find.
2. Big House Antiques, 2212 Mechanic, specializes in American and European investment quality furniture as well as estate jewelry, glassware and more. This is definitely a stop for beautiful classic antique furniture and its downtown.
3. Nautical Antiques, 2202 Mechanic, is just a couple of doors down from Big House. This is a nautical enthusiast’s dream. The owners specialize in ship’s salvage finds such as captains wheels, floats, nets, lanterns, lights and other unique items. It’s perfect for a beach house or your favorite mariner.
4. Somewhere in Time, 124 20th Street, is another favorite for kitchenware, jewelry, holiday collections and other items. Tip: if you are a fan of Fiesta dishware, a few doors down is Yesterday’s Best (Fiestaware Dish Store) at 114 20th.
5. The Marketplace at Peanut Butter Warehouse, 102 20th, is a must stop. There are a variety of booths with home décor as well as clothing. There is also a beer and wine bar so enjoy a drink while browsing.
6. Galveston Historical Foundation Architectural Salvage Warehouse, 2228 Broadway, offers doors, windows, shutters, decorative woodwork and furniture. Note: they are only open Wednesday through Saturday so plan accordingly.
7. Le Chat Noir, 4301 Avenue S, is a personal favorite. They carry a great selection of shabby chic furnishings and décor as well as costumes. And, she is very reasonably priced. But if you like something, don’t put off a purchase because her items are hugely popular with many regular clients.
For a complete listing of Galveston antique stores, pick up a copy of Antique Shops & Collectibles published by Galveston Antique Dealers Association.
Couple your shopping spree with a stay at one of these Galveston’s hotels:
For a beach view with history, stay at Hotel Galvez & Spa. The hotel provides a courtesy shuttle to transport hotel guests downtown.
For a stay in The Historic Strand District, book your stay at The Tremont House.
Or if you want to enjoy of view of the harbor, consider Harbor House Hotel & Marina at Pier 21.