The City of Galveston charges for parking in the Central Business District (downtown including The Strand District and Postoffice) from 9 a.m. to 6 p.m. Monday through Saturday. Visitors can pay via PayByPhone or at pay stations. The location code is 5689. You will need the location code when using this App. Downtown Parking is $1.50/hour. There are also several paid parking lots and parking garages available.
Holiday Shopping in Downtown Galveston
There is something to be said about shopping in a historic downtown filled with locally owned stores. If this appeals to you, we suggest you skip the malls, walk away from the computer, grab a friend and venture to downtown Galveston.
Below are some of our favorite spots for holiday shopping:
In Strand District:
• La King’s Confectionery, 2323 Strand, for fudge, saltwater taffy and chocolate
• The Jewel Garden, 2326 Strand, for wooden watches and one-of-a-kind jewelry
• Tina’s on The Strand, 2326 Strand, for Brighton jewelry, Johnny Was and Lior clothing
• Beta Gallery, 2328 Strand, for fine art by local artist Mary Farragher
• Jammin’ Sportswear, 2314 Strand, for casual beachwear and surf styles
• Gracie’s, 2228 Strand, for Vera Bradley and more
• Bungalow Dry Goods, 2226 Strand, for gift items like Corkcicle, quirky gifts and cookbooks
• Head to Footsies, 2211 Strand, for your new holiday garb, pajamas and more
• The Admiralty on The Strand, 2211 Strand, for Mova Gloves and Swiss Army Knives
• Big House Antiques, Mechanic, 2212 Mechanic, for a wide array of china, furniture and more
• Nautical Antiques & Tropical Décor, 2202 Mechanic, for unique home décor with a nautical feel
• Strand Brass and Christmas on The Strand, 2115 Strand, for every holiday decoration imaginable
• Hendley Market, 2010 Strand, for Nativity Scenes from around the world
• Eighteen Seventy One, 2002 Strand, WoodWick & RibbonWick Candles and Kitras Art Glass
• The Marketplace at Peanut Butter Warehouse, 102 20th Strand, unique gift items and home décor
On or near Postoffice Street:
• Naked Mermaid, 2113 Postoffice, for home decor with a mermaid or nautical touch
• The Style Co, 2113 Postoffice, for chic clothing for ladies
• Fullen Jewelry, 2215 Postoffice, for gorgeous jewelry and watches including Tommy Bahama
• Ha.ba’s Clothing Store, 2213 Postoffice, for casual and flirty ladies wear
• Affaire D’Art, Postoffice, 2227 Postoffice, represents 40 different artists and is offering a Holiday Market this season
• Tangerine Boutique, 2218 Postoffice, for ladies with distinct taste in fashion
• Fit TRI Run, 518 23rd, for the runner or triathlete in the family
• The Kitchen Chick, 528 23rd Street, for any and every cooking tool
• Galveston Coffee Roaster, 532 23rd Street, for seasonal coffee blends
New this year, downtown Galveston merchants are hosting a Sip & Shop event on Thursday, Nov. 17 from 5 to 9 p.m. Shops will be offering refreshments, specials and some gift wrapping.
Downtown Parking Tips:
Where to Stay:
• Hotel Galvez & Spa is offering a Holiday Magic Package. Enjoy breakfast for two at Galvez Bar & Grill, two tickets to Moody Gardens’ Ice Land: Ice Sculptures, A Caribbean Christmas as well as complimentary valet and a courtesy shuttle to the Historic Strand District known for its shopping and dining.
• Holiday Fun at The Tremont House. The Tremont puts you in the heart of historic downtown Galveston. Enjoy breakfast for two at Tremont Café, two tickets to Moody Gardens’ Ice Land: Ice Sculptures, A Caribbean Christmas and complimentary valet when booking the holiday package.
Both packages are available Nov. 12 through Dec. 30, 2016.
• Harbor House Hotel & Marina offers a seven day advance purchase rate that starts at $89/night weekdays. Harbor House is the only hotel located at Pier 21 and is walkable to downtown shopping.