If you are an empty nester or child-free consider skipping Labor Day Weekend and booking your stay Labor Day Monday. Here’s why…
1. Room rates: Holiday weekends are always at a premium due to high demand. Hotel rooms are always less expensive during the week and properties often offer discounts for booking consecutive days. Both Hotel Galvez and The Tremont House have a Book Two Nights Save 20% off the best available rate which adds to the savings.
2. Smaller crowds: Now that summer break is over and school is back in session there are less people to contend with at your favorite museums and attractions. You might end up with a more personalized tour with small crowds. This would be a good time to visit Moody Gardens’ new Aquarium. See our blog “Why the Aquarium at Moody Gardens Isn’t Just for Kids.”
3. No wait at your favorite restaurant: Smaller crowds could mean no wait at your favorite dining locations and bars. And, many Galveston locales offer wonderful weekday happy hour specials. Some that come to mind are Nonno Tony’s Seafood Kitchen at Pier 21 (happy hour 11 to 7pm); Olympia Grill at Pier 21 (happy hour 4 to 7pm); Riondo’s Ristorante (happy hour 3 to 7pm at bar/patio), 2328 Strand; Saltwater Grill (happy hour 5 to 7pm), 2017 Postoffice; Taquilo’s Tex-Mex Cantina (all day 11am to 7pm), 2101 Postoffice; Sky Bar Steak & Sushi (happy hour 5pm to close), 2105 Postoffice, Little Daddy’s Gumbo Bar (happy hour 5 to 7pm), 2107 Postoffice; BLVD Seafood (happy hour 4 to 7pm at the bar), 28th and Seawall; and Mario’s Seawall Italian Restaurant (Patio/Bar 4 to 7pm), 628 Seawall Blvd.
4. Plentiful beaches: There is now plenty of space for you to stake your spot on your favorite beach. Plus, all the summer swimwear should now be on sale
5. Enjoy Galveston at a local’s pace… No that the summer rush has slowed you’ll have more time to enjoy Galveston like a local and chat it up with servers, bartenders and shop owners at your favorite locally owned establishments.
Where to Stay:
• For a beach view with history, stay at Hotel Galvez and Spa and Book Two Save 20% package. The hotel provides a courtesy shuttle to transport hotel guests downtown and is a block away from a Seawall Trolley stop.
• For a stay in The Historic Strand District, book your stay at The Tremont House and book Stay Two Save 20%. The city trolley stops on the same block as the hotel or take the courtesy shuttle to Hotel Galvez.
• Or if you want to enjoy of view of the harbor, consider Harbor House Hotel & Marina at Pier 21. This hotel is also a short walk to Postoffice Street.