Some holiday weekends, like Labor Day Weekend, are synonymous with barbecue, ice cream and watching college football games. So, we asked some locals on their recommendations for these “must do” and “must have” activities and treats.
Where to buy barbecue in Galveston:
- Leon’s Finest In and Out Barbecue House, 5427 Broadway
Locals recommend the brisket! You’ll probably see old Leon cooking or serving it up.
- Queen’s Bar-B-Que, 3428 Avenue S
We recommend the cliffhanger sandwich on their jalapeno bread.
Where to buy ice cream in Galveston:
- LaKing’s Confectionary, 2323 Strand
Yes, this is a Galveston institution! Local love the cinnamon, butter pecan, and amaretto flavors or a try their cherry soda.
- Hey Mikey’s Ice Cream, 2120 Postoffice
They have a unique variety of flavors so sample until you find your favorite. Try the Irish car bomb or Kahlua.
- Rocky Mountain Chocolate Factory, 2225 Strand
You have the option of ice cream, chocolate or their amazing chocolate or caramel covered apples. We love the rocky road chocolate apple.
- Star Drug Store, 510 23rd Street
Try the root beer floats and their chocolate and vanilla malts.
Do you need to pick up dessert?
- Patty Cakes Bakery, 704 14th Street
- ShyKatz Deli and Bakery, 1528 Avenue L
- Coastal Cupcakes and Bakery, 2108 Church
Where to watch football?
The all-important question…
- Brick House Tavern and Tap, 3502 Seawall
The bar and restaurant is designed with the sports fan in mind and offers both indoor and outdoor seating including recliners.
- Float, 2828 Seawall
The float offers plenty of TVs around the bar to catch the game or cool off in their pool.
- Tsunami, 2314 Strand
Find a good spot in one of their booths to catch your favorite team.
- Stuttgarten Tavern, 2110 Strand
We recommend sitting outside at this quaint beer garten to enjoy watching the game.
- On the Bayou, T-Bones Sports Bar, 6028 Heards Lane
The Sports Bar offers a huge amount of televisions and bar bites.
If you want a beachfront hotel, stay at Hotel Galvez & Spa.
If you want to stay in the heart of downtown Galveston, you’ll love The Tremont House.
If you want to enjoy of view of the harbor, try Harbor House Hotel & Marina at Pier 21.