While Galveston Island is always a great choice for a family escape, Thanksgiving weekend offers plenty of options for creating new family traditions.
Here’s our Five Reasons to Choose Galveston This Thanksgiving:
1. Hotel Galvez & Spa’s Famous Thanksgiving Day Brunch - Getting away for Thanksgiving doesn’t mean that you have to skip all your favorite holiday foods. Hotel Galvez & Spa is currently taking reservations for its renowned Brunch and it’s critical that you reserve your spot for this amazing holiday brunch in advance Hotel Galvez offers a Thanksgiving Day Brunch with seating beginning at 10:30 and ending at 3:30 p.m. If your preferred time is booked then make a reservation for Thanksgiving Dinner with seating from 4:30 p.m. to 6:30 p.m. Both are $65 for adults, $59 for seniors and $36 for children (6-11). Both offer an amazing menu and you will leave stuffed. Call (409) 765-7721.
2. Galveston Holiday Lighting Celebration at Hotel Galvez – After you’ve stuffed yourself silly on Thanksgiving, celebrate the holiday season on Friday with the Galveston Holiday Lighting Celebration at Hotel Galvez. The event begins at 6 p.m. Enjoy the official tree lighting for Galveston followed by live performances by local choirs as well as the Galveston Ballet along with special appearance by Santa Claus. Free.
3. Hendley Green Holiday Kickoff and Tree Lighting – On Saturday Hendley Green, located at 2028 Strand, hosts its first holiday event at this new park. Enjoy craft beer from 2 to 7 p.m.; a visit from Santa and his sleigh from 3 to 5 p.m., family friendly games throughout the afternoon and a special tree lighting of the Queen’s Christmas tree at 6:30 p.m. Free.
4. ArtWalk – This ArtWalk is Galveston’s biggest and most popular ArtWalk of the year. Browse through Galveston’s art galleries and “other walls” including The Tremont House from 6 to 9 p.m. Free.
5. Moody Gardens Festival of Lights and Ice Land: Ice Sculptures, A Caribbean Christmas! – This holiday attraction is definitely something to add to your weekend itinerary. Festival of Lights takes you through more than a million holiday lights while Ice Land provides an undersea journey made of two million pounds of ice. Yes, ice! You see the beautiful tropical fish, turtles, dolphins, sharks and more in the Ice Land under the sea.
If you decide to extend your weekend, then purchase your tickets to The Priests at The Grand 1894 Opera House for their 7 p.m. performance on Sunday. Fathers Eugene and Martin O’Hagan and Father David Delargy are known for their stirring Irish tenor voices and set a Guiness World Record for “Fasting Selling Classical Debut Album of All Time.”
Where to Stay:
• Hotel Galvez & Spa Holiday Magic Package - Make Hotel Galvez & Spa your choice for a “Holiday Getaway” as Galveston is transformed into the “Winter Wonder Island” of Texas, offering 50 days of holiday fun. Enjoy breakfast for two at Galvez Bar & Grill, two tickets to Moody Gardens’ Ice Land: Ice Sculptures, A Caribbean Christmas as well as complimentary valet and a courtesy shuttle to the Historic Strand District known for its shopping and dining. Click here to book this package and confirm that RATE CODE: PKGHM is applied.
• Holiday Fun at The Tremont House - Plan your holiday escape at The Tremont House this season as Galveston is transformed into the “Winter Wonder Island” of Texas, offering 50 days of holiday events. Enjoy breakfast for two at Tremont Café, two tickets to Moody Gardens’ Ice Land: Ice Sculptures, A Caribbean Christmas and complimentary valet. The Tremont House is the only hotel located in the heart of the Historic Strand District. Click here to book this package and confirm that RATE CODE: PKGHM is applied.
Both packages are available Nov. 12 through Dec. 30, 2016.
Or if you want to enjoy of view of the harbor, consider Harbor House Hotel & Marina at Pier 21.