It’s a load of fun and the best part is that it’s Free! Movie Nite on the Strand is sponsored by Mitchell Historic Properties and the Galveston Park Board of Trustees and is always scheduled on the first Saturday of the month. Movies are shown on an outdoor screen at Saengerfest Park, 23rd & Strand, and begin shortly after sunset so the time will change as the seasons change.
Upcoming Movies scheduled for Movie Nite on The Strand:
April 4, Singin’ in The Rain
May 2, The Goonies
June 6, Jaws
July 4, Elf
August 1, The Outsiders
September 5, Maleficient
October 3, Harry Potter and the Sorcerer’s Stone
Tips for a fun movie night:
• Bring chairs for your group. There are a couple of park benches but they fill up quickly so most movie goers bring their chairs and save their spot early.
• Order food “to go” from one of the Galveston’s downtown restaurants and don’t forget napkins. Restaurants located near Saengerfest Park include Mediterranean Chef, Riondo’s Ristorante, Yaga’s Café, Fuddruckers and Tremont Café at Tremont House. Tremont Café at The Tremont House offer great flat bread pizzas and hot paninis.
• Bring beverages. Beer and wine is allowed at Saengerfest Park. Some movie goers bring coolers while others purchase beverages downtown. Several shops sell beer, wine and soft drinks including Tola and Old Strand Emporium.
• Bring mosquito repellant just in case (primarily in summer months).
o If it’s breezy outside, you typically won’t have a problem with mosquitos.
• Note on restrooms: There is a public restroom on 22nd Street (between Strand and Harborside). Several restaurants are kind enough to allow access to their public restrooms, especially if you ordered takeout.
• Clean up afterward. There are several trashcans at the park so pack up your picnic and throw out your trash before you leave for the evening.
This is a family friendly crowd. Some locals bring dogs and make Movie Nite a monthly outing.