Are you planning a quick getaway with friends? Here’s a list of ideas to keep you entertained during your visit to Galveston.
• The Rooftop Bar at The Tremont House, 2300 Mechanic, is open Tue-Sat evenings (weather permitting) and is Galveston’s only rooftop bar.
• Brews Brothers, 2404 Strand, has a huge selection of craft beer, a private cigar room and amazing burgers.
• Stuttgarden Tavern, 2110 Strand, has German food, burgers and beer all set in a great beer garden.
• Murphy’s Pub, 213 22nd Street, offers a variety of beer on tap, wine, pizza and specialty sandwiches all in an Irish pub atmosphere.
• BuckShot Saloon, 2409 Market, offers a dance floor, cold beer and fun.
• Hemingways, 904 Avenue M, offers live music Saturday evenings and shuffleboard on Sunday afternoons and 26 craft beer choices.
• Beerfoot Brewing, 2816 Avenue R ½, features more than 100 craft and mainstream beer including a locally brewed “Beer of the Month.”
• Float Pool & Patio Bar, 2828 Seawall, is a great spot for people watching and offers a pool to stay cool.
• Nick’s Kitchen & Beach Bar, 3828 Seawall, has outdoor, covered seating with TVs and pool side fun.
• Galveston Island Brewing Company, 8423 Stewart Road, offers free tours on Saturdays at 1 p.m. and offers ten different craft beers all brewed locally.
For active vacationers:
• Running: Galveston’s Seawall offers ten miles of continuous sidewalk for runners or run on the beach for more of a challenge. Check calendars for upcoming 5k, 10, half marathons and marathons as well as triathlons.
o Tip: Fit Tri Run, 523 23rd Street, hosts group runs on Saturday mornings and Thursday evenings.
• Standup Paddleboard and Kayak rentals: Check with the Galveston Paddleboard Center, 1723 61st Street, for rental information.
o Tip: They offer lessons and a three-day camp
• Surfing: Rent a surfboard at Ohana Surf and Skate, 2814 Avenue R ½.
o Tip: They offer group and private surf lessons
• Bike & Surrey rentals: Island Bicycle Company, 1808 Seawall Blvd., rents surreys, tandem bikes, cruisers and the popular three-wheel bullet bikes
o Tip: If you are guest at Hotel Galvez, take advantage of their courtesy bicycles but check them out early if it’s a pretty day
• Beach Hike: Go on guided beach hike at the Galveston Island State Park, 14901 FM 3005.
• If you can’t skip your CrossFit workout, Galveston has two CrossFit gyms, CrossFit Galveston, 1227 Avenue L, and CrossFit Tidal Wave, 2510 Market.
For thrill seekers:
• Jet Boat Thrill Rides at Pier 21 offers an exhilarating ride through Galveston’s harbor.
o Tip: Yes, you may get wet
• Flyboard flights are available through Extreme Watersports, 1723 61st Street.
o Tip: You can be propelled up to 35 feet above the water. This is not for the faint of heart.
• Fishing on the beach, on the bay or off one of the public fishing piers is always fun. There are plenty of private fishing charters available or take a trip on Galveston Party Boats at Pier 19.
• Board Game Island, 213 23rd, offers hundreds of board games, food and beverages, and yes, they have “Cards Against Humanity.”
• Galveston Island Pleasure Pier, 2501 Seawall Blvd., offers 16 rides, a midway and more.
o Tip: It’s a five-minute walk from Hotel Galvez & Spa
• Free movies and concerts: Saengerfest Park, 23rd & Strand, hosts free movies on the first Saturday of the month and free concerts on the second Saturday of the month.