Yes, we know July 4th falls on a Wednesday this year. But, we ask you this… Have you checked your vacation day balance? According to the U.S. Travel Association, 52% of Americans left vacation time unused. And, sadly 24% of Americans haven’t taken a vacation for a year. So, we give you a pass to take an extra day or two during the week to enjoy Independence Day with your family.
Here are some ideas for extending your holiday fun:
• Enjoy some ice cream on a warm hot day. Our suggestions are La King’s Confectionary, 2323 Strand (Note: They draw a big crowd); Rocky Mountain Chocolate, 2225 Strand; and local favorite Hey Mikey’s Ice Cream, 2120 Postoffice.
• Rent a bike and go for a ride with the family. If you are on the seawall, try Island Bicycle, 1808 Seawall Blvd. and if you’re downtown, rent electric bikes from Zipp E-Bikes, 2311 Mechanic. Tips on Best Bike Routes. Check out the Bike Your Way Package at The Tremont House which includes a discounted half day rental for two.
• Go to the beach. You’ll find an abundance of umbrella and chair rentals throughout the seawall and beach parks. Check out our Galveston beach tips.
• Take a harbor tour. We promise you will see a dolphin. Harbor tour excursion options include Galveston Harbor Tours aboard Seagull II (docked at the Texas Seaport Museum), Baywatch Dolphin Tours and Cruise-N-Time. All are available at Pier 21.
• Take a tour on a Segway. SegCity Galveston, 519 25th Street, offers a variety of tour options ranging from 30 minutes to 2.5 hours.
• See Galveston by Land and Sea. Galveston Duck Tours provides a land and water sightseeing tour of Galveston. The tour starts on the Seawall then takes guests on a 15-minute tour in Offatts Bayou before it finishes the tour on land.
• Explore Moody Gardens. It’s easy to spend a few hours at Moody Gardens. We recommend you buy their Value Pass (available online). It saves you $5 on one admission to the Rainforest Pyramid, Aquarium Pyramid, Palm Beach, JAM: Remastered, MG 3D Theater, 4D Special FX Theater, SpongeBob SubPants Adventure, Dinos Alive, Ropes Course and the Colonel Paddlewheel Boat.
• Splash around at Schlitterbahn Waterpark. Schlitterbahn Waterpark Galveston, 2026 Lockheed Rd., features thrilling water slides, wave rivers, and water coasters. The park opens daily at 10 a.m.
• Get your heartrate up at the Pleasure Pier. The Galveston Island Historic Pleasure Pier offers fifteen exciting rides including a rollercoaster, 200-foot swing, Ferris wheel, Midway and more. Check out the Pleasure Pier Package at Hotel Galvez which includes four discount tickets.
On July 4th, make sure to catch the Independence Day Parade at 7:30 p.m. and the Fireworks at 9:15 p.m. The parade begins at 59th and Seawall and ends at 25th and Seawall. The 20-minute fireworks show over the Gulf of Mexico launches from 37th and Seawall and is visible along most of the beachfront.
Where to Stay:
For a beach view with history, stay at Hotel Galvez & Spa. The hotel provides a courtesy shuttle to transport hotel guests downtown or take advantage of the City Trolley.
For a stay in The Historic Strand District, book your stay at The Tremont House.
Or if you want to enjoy of view of the harbor, consider Harbor House Hotel & Marina at Pier 21.