The holiday season is always the preferred time to indulge in your favorite sweets before you start your New Year’s Resolution. If you are looking for a treat for a hostess gift or something special to take home here’s a list of suggestions on how to satisfy your sweet tooth during the holiday season in Galveston.
1. Ile Petite Bakery, 2108 Church, offer French macarons in both regular and mini sizes in assorted flavors. They also are offering decorated gingerbread men cookies and royal iced sugar cookies for the season.
2. Hey Mikey’s Ice Cream, 2120 Postoffice, is a local favorite with a variety of flavors that change all the time based on the whim of the owners. They also offer banana splits, sundaes, shakes and other specialties like ice cream nachos and ice cream donuts.
3. La King’s Confectionery, 2323 Strand, has ready-made tins filled with their fudge and chocolates. Or choose from their huge selection of saltwater taffy. Bonus tip: this is the only time of year to purchase their ribbon candy.
4. Rocky Mountain Chocolate Factory, 2225 Strand, is known for its caramel, chocolate and candy covered apples. Our personal favorite is the Rocky Road Apple. And, if you are sharing they will slice it for you.
5. Gypsy Joynt, 2711 Market, is hugely popular for their burgers, sandwiches and pizza but did you know about their bakery? They offer amazing cookies, cakes and other desserts. You’ll love the funky atmosphere.
6. PattyCakes Bakery, 704 14th Street, offers a selection of homemade pies, cookies, croissants, brownies, scones, cheesecakes and breads. And, if you want something special you can pre-order your favorite dessert.
7. The Sunflower Bakery & Cafe, 512 14th Street, is a popular spot for breakfast and lunch and it’s a must to browse their bakery display. You’ll love their pies, cakes, cookies, eclairs and more.
As part of that sugar overload treat yourself to a nice Galveston getaway, include some holiday shopping and book one of these hotel packages:
• Hotel Galvez & Spa is offering a Holiday Magic Package. Enjoy breakfast for two at Galvez Bar & Grill, two tickets to Moody Gardens’ Ice Land: Ice Sculptures, A Caribbean Christmas as well as complimentary valet and a courtesy shuttle to the Historic Strand District known for its shopping and dining. Weekday rates for this package start at $188/night.
• Holiday Fun at The Tremont House. The Tremont puts you in the heart of historic downtown Galveston. Enjoy breakfast for two at Tremont Café, two tickets to Moody Gardens’ Ice Land: Ice Sculptures, A Caribbean Christmas and complimentary valet when booking the holiday package. Weekday rates at The Tremont House for this package start at $188/night.
Both packages are available daily through Dec. 30, 2016.
• Harbor House Hotel & Marina offers a seven day advance purchase rate that starts at $89/night weekdays. Harbor House is the only hotel located at Pier 21 and is walkable to downtown shopping.