January kicks off with Galveston Restaurant Week and Yaga’s Chili Quest and Beer Fest. Mark your calendar for Galveston’s most popular events in January.
• Jan. 7-22, Galveston Restaurant Week
• Jan. 12, Hotel Galvez Ghost Tour Dinner
• Jan. 14, ARTWalk in downtown Galveston
• Jan. 14, ARTWalk at The Tremont House
• Jan. 14, Wisenthal at The Grand 1894 Opera House
• Jan. 20-21, Yaga’s Chili Quest and Beer Fest
• Jan. 21, Special Olympics Polar Plunge
• Jan. 21 – 22, The Oak Ridge Boys at The Grand 1894 Opera House
• Jan. 27 - 28, “Small Engine Repair” at Island ETC Theater
• Jan. 29, Pippin at The Grand 1894 Opera House
Upcoming in February
• Feb. 4, An Evening with Sophia Loren at The Grand 1894 Opera House
• Feb. 9, Hotel Galvez Ghost Tour Dinner
• Feb. 12, Galveston Marathon
• Feb. 12, Mardi Gras Brunch at Hotel Galvez
• Feb. 12, Pump Boys and Dinettes at The Grand 1894 Opera House
• Feb. 17-28, Mardi Gras! Galveston
• Feb. 19, Mardi Gras Brunch at Hotel Galvez
• Feb. 26, Mardi Gras Brunch at Hotel Galvez
Seawall and Downtown Parking Tips
The City of Galveston charges for parking along Seawall Blvd. from 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. daily from 6th to 69th Streets and from 81st to 103rd Streets. Visitors can pay via PayByPhone or at a participating business. The location code is 5004. You will need the location code when using this App. Parking is $1/hour.
The City of Galveston charges for parking in the Central Business District (downtown including The Strand District and Postoffice) from 9 a.m. to 6 p.m. Monday through Saturday. Visitors can pay via PayByPhone or at pay stations. The location code is 5689. You will need the location code when using this App. Downtown Parking is $1.50/hour.
Galveston does have Get Me, which operates similar to Uber.
How it works: According to their website, Get Me locates you via GPS as soon as you open the App, so if you want to get picked up at your current location, just tap to request a ride and a driver will accept your request.
You can identify your destination in the App, either before or after you request your ride. You can also select the vehicle type you need. At the end of your ride, you’ll get an In-App receipt as well as an emailed receipt.
If you are visiting multiple attractions, visit www.galvestonislandpass.com to receive 40% off 4 or more attractions.
The Galveston Chamber of Commerce operates a Visitors Center at 2228 Mechanic (just one block from The Tremont House) or look for the maps posted throughout downtown.
Book Your Hotel:
For a beach view with history, stay at Hotel Galvez & Spa. The hotel provides a courtesy shuttle to transport hotel guests downtown.
For a stay in The Historic Strand District, book your stay at The Tremont House.
Or if you want to enjoy of view of the harbor, consider Harbor House Hotel & Marina at Pier 21.