School is done for the summer and, as always, there’s plenty to keep families and couples entertained in June. Following are the June events we recommend during your June visit to Galveston Island.
1. Movie Nite on The Strand is always a blast. This month’s movie is "Jaws” starring Roy Scheider and Richard Dreyfuss. Movies are scheduled on the first Saturday of the month so this month it falls on June 6. Movies are shown at Saengerfest Park, 23rd & Strand, just shortly after dusk. Bring a lawn chair, order takeout from your favorite restaurant and enjoy.
2. Surprise your parents or your spouse by making reservations for the Hotel Galvez Wedding Vow Renewal on Saturday, June 13. The hotel hosts a wedding vow renewal ceremony at 10 a.m. on its front lawn and officiated by the Justice of the Peace Jim Schweitzer. Following the ceremony, all participating couples are invited to a small reception hosted by the hotel. There is no cost to participate in the ceremony. Couples can register to solely participate in the ceremony or splurge for the weekend and book the Romantic Rendezvous/Wedding Vow Renewal Package. For reservations, call 409.765.7721 or book your package at www.hotelgalvez.com (see special offers).
3. Galveston will commemorate the 150th National Juneteenth Celebration June 13-21 with Gospel by the Sea, African-American Heritage exhibits at Old Central Cultural Center, book signings, a Juneteenth Picnic and more. The highlight of the event is the Emancipation Proclamation reading and prayer breakfast at Ashton Villa on June 19 which commemorates the reading two years after it was enacted in 1863.
4. If you enjoy live music, then mark your calendar for Music Nite on The Strand. This month enjoy 70s-90s cover band Alter Ego on Saturday, June 13 at Saengerfest Park from 6 to 9 p.m. Some seating is available and there is always a dance floor. Additionally, Moody Gardens resumes Bands on the Sand June 6. Enjoy live concerts and a fireworks show every Friday and Saturday from 6 to 10 p.m.
5. June shows at The Grand 1894 Opera House include Travis Tritt June 14 and Million Dollar Quartet June 19 and June 20. For reservations, visit www.thegrand.com.
6. Schlitterbahn Waterpark Galveston will host the World’s Largest Swimming Lesson on June 18. This is a free swimming lesson in an effort to break the record for the World’s Largest
Swimming Lesson. Those interested should be at the park at 9 a.m. to register for their free swim lesson.
7. Summer weather beckons a margarita so if that’s your go-to summer drink then the Texas Tequila and Margarita Festival June 19-20 is right up your galley. For details and tickets, visit http://texasmargaritafestival.com/.
8. A “must do” for any weekend is Sunday Brunch at Hotel Galvez. Galvez Bar & Grill at Hotel Galvez was just named to the 2015 Top Brunch Restaurants in the US by Open Table diners. Reservations are available via Open Table or by calling 409-765-7721.
Enjoy your visit to beautiful Galveston Island with these June events that we recommend.