So you are planning to pop the question and you have no idea what to do. That’s okay. We’ve asked some local experts on their suggestions on where to propose in Galveston.
First, make sure you book your room. And, if you really want to make it easy, The Tremont House offers a “Marry Me” Engagement Package. The package includes accommodations in one of the hotel’s Belmont suites, a bouquet of roses, champagne and chocolate covered strawberries, carriage ride, and dinner for two at Galvez Bar and Grill. After you pop the big question, you’ll return to your suite for a rose petal turndown and on the following morning savor breakfast for two in your room. Yes, the staff will take care of all the details and yes, The Tremont House is very romantic. Plus, if you stay on a Friday or Saturday night, you can enjoy live jazz in the Toujouse Bar and grab a nightcap at The Rooftop Bar. Keep in mind that you must book at least a week in advance so all the arrangements can be made.
Hotel Galvez is also popular spot for a surprise engagement because of its history and ambiance. The hotel’s Concierge Melissa Hall is happy to personalize the occasion to suit the soon-to-be groom’s vision. She mentioned that one of her most popular packages includes booking a four-hour Oasis Spa Retreat for the bride-to-be at The Spa at Hotel Galvez and adding a couples’ massage for added couple time. Following The Spa, take your future betrothed to dinner in the Galvez Bar and Grill with the added bonus of having dessert served in a private location, such as the hotel’s pool overlook. Melissa will fill the space with candles making it a romantic spot to pop the question. Then return to your room for a heart-shaped rose turndown, champagne and chocolate covered strawberries. Some prospective grooms opt to pop the question in the hotel’s Oleander Garden with the waterwall flowing in the background and while standing in a heart of rose petals. Contact Melissa well in advance so she can plan out every detail to suit your preference for this auspicious occasion.
Some additional suggestions for popping the question include:
• Fountain at Kempner Park, 2704 Avenue O. The park is open from dawn to dusk and operated by the City of Galveston. Remember this is a public park so make sure you scout it in advance to choose your spot. There is a lovely fountain which might make a good location for “the question.”
• Box at The Grand 1894 Opera House, 2020 Postoffice. Propose during one of the shows at The Grand or contact the staff in advance to provide a bottle of champagne in one of the box seats during a “tour” of the theater. The staff says they love… love and would be happy to help.
• Deck of 1877 Tall Ship ELISSA, Pier 21. For mariners or those with a passion for the sea, the deck of the 1877 Tall Ship ELISSA at the Texas Seaport Museum is a fit. The Museum is located at Pier 21 and operated by the Galveston Historical Foundation.
• Gallery at Moody Mansion, 2618 Broadway. One of Galveston’s most beautiful historic homes, Moody Mansion (Circa 1893-1895) offers a gorgeous gallery (veranda) to pop the question. The staff would be happy to help make arrangements.
• Rail car at the Galveston Island Railroad Museum, 2602 Santa Fe Place. Imagine proposing in the City of Galveston Dining Railcar (Circa 1948 and refurbished by Amtrak in 1991). Picture an elegant railcar with a table cloth, roses and champagne at just one table and waiting for you and your love.
• Bench on Seawall Blvd. Couples often have a favorite spot along the beach to enjoy a view and many are painted or tiled so you can remember to return every year and celebrate.
• Carriage ride through The Strand Historic District. Galveston carriage companies are happy to oblige a nervous groom-to-be. Book in advance and you can make arrangement to have them pick you up from your hotel.
• Bench at Pier 21. There are several benches that overlook the harbor at Pier 21, adjacent to Harbor House Hotel. Pick up a bottle of champagne and pop the question with a view of the harbor or better yet make arrangements with one of the harbor excursions. Both Galveston Harbor Tours and Baywatch Dolphin Tours operate out of Pier 21 complex. Suntime Watersports also offers a sunset cruise seasonally.
Galveston Island provides a romantic backdrop to pop the question and with a little advance planning it will be a night to remember.
• Book the Marry Me Package at The Tremont House
• If you want to enjoy of view of the harbor, consider Harbor House Hotel & Marina at Pier 21.
• If you want a beachfront hotel with historic ambiance, stay at Hotel Galvez & Spa.