Did you know that Galveston is home to “The Official Opera House of Texas”? That’s right; The Grand received this designation by the 73rd Texas Legislature in 1993. This restored theatre is one of the few remaining theatres of its era in Texas and is listed in the National Register of Historic Places. And, it’s one of those amazing gems that can only be found in Galveston.
If you haven’t had the opportunity, you should check out the line-up for the current season.
Reasons to see a show at The Grand 1894 Opera House:
• No seat is further than 70 feet from the stage.
• The acoustics in this 1894 theatre are amazing.
• The close proximity to the stage allows you to see the facial expressions of the entertainers without binoculars.
• Even the seats that are considered “obstructed” view, making them less expensive, are good.
• You can purchase an adult beverage in one of their “sippy cups” and bring it in the theatre.
• There is a huge variety of shows from Broadway musicals to big name performers to theatre to comedies and more.
• You might actually run into the performers in downtown Galveston at one of the area restaurants or shopping.
Make it a weekend getaway and book your tickets at www.thegrand.com. We promise that you'll love it.
Nearby hotels include:
The Tremont House (0.4 miles/7-minute walk)
Harbor House Hotel & Marina at Pier 21 (0.3 miles/7-minute walk)
Hotel Galvez & Spa (1.1 miles/5-minute drive)
Ask the hotel about a courtesy shuttle to the theatre.