One of the best things about the spring months in Galveston is the weather, the water and activities. Visitors and locals cherish the cooler temperatures before the heat of the summer and the Gulf of Mexico is calmer and bluer. Consider these ten reasons to visit Galveston in the spring.
1. First month of free movies and concerts downtown. March is the first month for the Movie Nite and Music Nite on The Strand series. The March 5 movie is Despicable Me 2 so pack your chairs and pick up dinner for the first free outdoor movie of the season. Upcoming movies are The Fifth Element on April 2 and Pitch Perfect on May 7. Plus enjoy free concerts as part of Music Nite. Spring movies include: Gary Bites Band from Norway with Ocean Roots (Rock, Soul) on March 5, Hamilton Loomis (Blues, R&B) on March 12 and Harbors Over Highways (Country Rock) on April 9. Music Nite and Movie Nite take place in the evenings at Saengerfest Park, 23rd & Strand. Dance floor and tables and chairs are provided for Music Nite.
2. New activities at Stewart and East Beach. Did you know that you can take a helicopter ride of Galveston? Or go horseback riding on the beach? Galveston Helicopters began operating out of Stewart Beach last year and resumes its sightseeing tours in March. They offer five tour options including a sunset tour of Galveston. Of if you prefer to be closer to the ground, go horseback riding with Galveston Island Horse and Pony Rides at East Beach. Prices starts at $50 per person for a 30-minute guided trail ride and $25 for a 10-minute pony ride for children. They also offer a private sunset tour.
3. Harbor Excursions at Pier 21. Currently, four harbor excursions are now available at Pier 21. Options include Baywatch Dolphin Tours, Harbor Tours aboard the Seagull II, and Jet Boat Thrill Rides and Cruise-N-Time operated by Suntime Watersports. Cruise-N-Time offers ECO-Tours and Sunset Cruises.
4. Schlitterbahn Waterpark Galveston is open Saturdays and Sundays in March and April as well as during the week on March 14-18. The park will be open weekdays beginning in May. Check out their new penthouse cabana rentals if you want a private escape from the crowds.
5. Sunshine and Sunsets. Remember Daylight Saving Time is Sunday, March 13, so take advantage of the long days and find a good spot to enjoy the sunset. Restaurants at Pier 21 offer a nice vantage point to watch the sunset and The Rooftop Bar at The Tremont House is always a good option.
6. Walks on the beach. This is an ideal time of year to enjoy the beach. Venture to spots off the beaten path, like the beach area in Beach Town and the newly expanded beaches west of 61st and Seawall Blvd. Try out stand up paddle boarding with SUP Gulf Coast or take surfing lessons with Ohana Surf & Skate.
7. Cooler weather before the summer. In contrast to fall, the average high temperature in March and April is in the mid-70s with lows in the high-50s. So, bring a sweater or light jacket when visiting for the evening breeze.
8. Drinks on The Rooftop and dinner on the patio. Named the “Most Romantic Bar” by Houstonia Magazine, The Rooftop Bar at The Tremont House is a “must do” during any visit to Galveston. Don’t miss out on their Friday Social Club Happy Hour with $3 off cocktails and $2 off beer and wine from 5 to 7 p.m.
Plus, outdoor seating is available throughout the island including establishments on the Seawall, Strand, Postoffice Street and Pier 21. Popular spots with outdoor dining include Ocean Grille, Nick’s Kitchen & Beach Bar, Sky Bar, Gumbo Bar, The M&M Restaurant and Bar, Riondo’s Ristorante, Yaga’s Café, Fuddruckers, Nonno Tony’s World Kitchen, and Olympia The Grill at Pier 21 as well as Stuttgarden Tavern and Smooth Tony’s Patio & Grill.
9. Pub Visits for Seasonal Beer. Light flavors return with the spring. Local craft brewery, Galveston Island Brewing (GIB), will be offering their spring seasonal, Flip Flop Lager. It is a crisp, clean lager with light citrus and pine notes. By the way, the Toujouse Bar at The Tremont House and the pool bar at Hotel Galvez & Spa both carry locally brewed GIB craft beer on tap.
Beerfoot Beach Bar is launching its StarMan ESB in tribute to the late David Bowie. It is a traditional ESB but with hints of Irish yeast and German hops. They also have a Mouthful Milk Stout coming out as part of their Brewer of the Month series. It’s 6.2% with “subtle notes of chocolate and coconut” offering a rich taste with a clean finish.
Plus, you can also find your spring favorites at other popular bars like Brews Brothers Brew Pub, Stuttgarden Tavern, Molly’s Irish Pub and Old Cellar Bar.
10. Shows at The Grand. The Grand 1894 Opera House continues its 2015-2016 Season with Vocalosity on March 5, Capitol Steps on March 6, The Rob Landes Trio Broadway is My Best on March 13, Peter Yarrow and Noel Paul Stookey of Peter, Paul and Mary on March 18. In April, enjoy Cirque Mechanics – Pedal Punk on April 3, The Pirates of Penzance performed by NY Gilbert & Sullivan Players on April 9, Jeanne Robertson on April 15 and April 16, and Robert Irvine LIVE on April 17.
These are ten good reasons to visit Galveston in the spring so pick a few days or a weekend and enjoy some “Island Time.”
If you want a beachfront hotel, stay at Hotel Galvez & Spa. The hotel provides a courtesy shuttle to transport hotel guests downtown.
If you want to stay in the heart of The Historic Strand District, book your stay at The Tremont House.
Or if you want to enjoy of view of the harbor and be walkable The Strand and Postoffice Street, consider Harbor House Hotel & Marina at Pier 21.