Did you know that February is Creative Romance Month? During the month of February, you are encouraged to find creative ways to put a little romance into your life. The nice thing about February is that the crowds are a bit smaller offering more privacy on those walks on the beach or dinner out. Here are some local favorites for the top five romantic spots in Galveston.
1. The Rooftop Bar at The Tremont House. This spot is definitely a local favorite for couples. The Rooftop Bar is open evenings Tuesday through Sunday (weather permitting). Take advantage of the “Friday Social Club” at The Rooftop Bar. Every Friday, patrons enjoy $3 off cocktails and $2 off beer and wine from 5 to 7 p.m. It’s a nice spot for a pre-dinner cocktail and a romantic view of Galveston. Surprise your significant other with a room at The Tremont House to top off the evening.
2. The patio at Olympia Grill at Pier 21. On a nice day, the patio at Olympia Grill is a great choice to watch the sunset and enjoy dinner. You might even catch a glimpse of one of the huge cruise ships docked nearby. There are benches on the grassy area just east of Harbor House Hotel, pay attention while you relax and you may see some of the dolphins playing near the ships.
3. Take a bike ride to Ocean Grille and Beach Bar. This restaurant offers an unobstructed view of the Gulf of Mexico so sit outside under their huge palapa or at a table for two and savor the romance of the island. Did you know that guests of the Hotel Galvez & Spa can check out complimentary bikes from the valets?
4. Dinner and a show at The Grand 1894 Opera House. One local describes Rudy & Paco’s this way, “Even if it’s a full house at a table for 2 it still feels like you’re in your own world.” Looking for something else? Saltwater Grill, is located right across the street from the theater. We recommend advance reservations on a show night. Visit www.thegrand.com for performances.
5. Coffee or ice cream on Post Office Street. If you are planning a coffee date, then venture to MOD Coffeehouse. Snag a seat outside and enjoy the smell of jasmine under their pergola. They often have a musician playing outside for added ambiance. Just next door, you’ll find Hey Mikey’s Ice Cream. They are known for their creative flavors and offer both indoor and outdoor seating.
If you are looking for a romantic historic beachfront hotel, book a room at Hotel Galvez & Spa. The hotel celebrates 105 years in 2016. There’s a romantic and private outdoor nook just past the gift shop overlooking the pool.
For couples with a preference to stay downtown, you’ll love The Tremont House. The hotel offers live jazz on weekends in its 1888 Toujouse Bar and is home to Galveston’s only Rooftop Bar.
Harbor House Hotel & Marina at Pier 21 is a great choice for couples who prefer to stay off the beaten path but still close the fun. There are four restaurants within steps of the hotel including the aforementioned Olympia Grill.