A gorgeous sunset, a romantic restaurant or a thoughtful tour are all suggestions by Galveston insiders on how to celebrate Valentine’s Day. This year, Valentine’s Day falls on a Tuesday providing a perfect excuse for a quick, romantic getaway with your special someone.
Here are some Valentine’s Day ideas:
• Valentine’s Day Cruise at Sea Star Base Galveston, 7509 Broadway, on Saturday, Feb. 11. Yes, we know this isn’t actually on Valentine’s Day but it’s a great way to celebrate in advance. Sea Star Base Galveston is offering a romantic two-hour cruise on Offatts Bayou featuring wine or champagne, hors d’oeuvres and dessert. The price is $199 per couple or $150 for SSBG members. For tickets, visit https://www.ssbgalveston.org/
• Cupid 5K on Sunday, Feb. 12. As part of the Galveston Marathon and Half Marathon, there is a Cupid Run 5K at 7:45 a.m. with specially designed shirts and finisher medals. The race is limited to 300 participants. To register, visit http://www.galvestonmarathon.com/Home.html. We suggest after your shower, you celebrate the race with Sunday Brunch at Hotel Galvez. For brunch reservations, visit https://www.opentable.com/galvez-bar-and-grill.
• Victorian Sweetheart Tour at Bishop’s Palace, 1402 Broadway. Bishop’s Palace is hosting a special Victorian Sweetheart Tour at 5:45 p.m. on Valentine’s Day. The tour features champagne, chocolate and a discussion on the history of Victorian courting. Tickets are $30 per person and limited to 30 guests. The tour wraps up at 7 p.m. allowing plenty of time for dinner. For tickets, visit http://www.galvestonhistory.org/event/victorian-sweetheart-tour.
• Valentine’s Day Dinner at Galvez Bar & Grill, 2024 Seawall Blvd. Galvez Bar & Grill is offering a romantic four-course dinner with crab stuffed shrimp, salad, choice of Beef Wellington or Potato Crusted Halibut and dessert for $89 per person. Dinner is served from 5 to 10 p.m. and advance reservations are highly recommended. Reservations are available via Open Table or by calling (409) 765-7721.
• Cocktails at The Rooftop Bar and a carriage ride. The Rooftop Bar at The Tremont House, 2300 Mechanic, was recently named Best Bar, Best Hotel Bar, Best Cocktail Bar and Best Atmosphere of Galveston.com’s 2016 Best of Galveston Awards. Based on that, you won’t go wrong with a drink at The Rooftop Bar followed by a carriage ride in historic downtown Galveston. The Rooftop Bar opens at 4 p.m. on Valentine’s Day (weather permitting). If you are lucky you might be able to snag a seat at the new fire pit tables.
Add to the romance with a stay at one of these Galveston’s hotels:
For a beach view with history, stay at Hotel Galvez & Spa. The hotel provides a courtesy shuttle to transport hotel guests downtown.
For a stay in The Historic Strand District, book your stay at The Tremont House.
Or if you want to enjoy of view of the harbor, consider Harbor House Hotel & Marina at Pier 21.